Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: General advice on "how to build a computer"

He never said that, read his post.

To answer a few more of your questions, use two sticks of ram to use the dual channel feature. Your Intel system will be a lot slower with only one stick.

The Athlon 64 processor alone will cost you around $500 US, not to mention the motherboard and expensive registered RAM you have to get. Definetely don't go that route.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

i'm planning on getting a intel though as i said, it is not fixed. i was just wondering what's the best system i could get at the moment, since i'm not going to delve into this right now.

i don't think i'll touch overcloacking just yet, hell i'm having trouble figuering out what goes with what let alone messing with the hardware itself

on scorptec you can see several well priced very reasonable dvd writers like the Liteon LDW-401S although this only a + drive it is well price at 5 if you want a drive that can write +/- then try the Pioneer DVR-106BK if I've read t correctly it can do both DVD R+/- and DVDRW +/- and is well priced at 9
    hrmm.. are you telling me there are two differnet DVD RW +/- formats? that's really strange.

The Seagate is a good drive. However if you want something really fast, a Western Digital Raptor is the way to go. If you have cash to spend, get two of them and use the onboard RAID feature to put them in RAID 0 thus nearly doubling performance and getting outrageous speeds. This is a very good idea because the bottleneck in todays systems is slow hard drives.
    that sounds nasty :D, as i was also planning to use this new system as the home "server". Just wondering, what are SCSI H/drives? are they supposed to be faster?

gawd.... i think i really have to throw out the damn newspapers, as they're giving me prices $10-$50 more then the ones your giveing me. But still the damn 19" LCDs are the most expensive, might just go with a 17", which would save me around $500-$1000.

anyway, thx for all your help :)
    =D

The Raptor is a 36gb 10,000 RPM Serial ATA hard drive. It is currently a better deal than going SCSI which really weren't made for home use due to their high price.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information