Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel or AMD for fastest system.

I just wanted to know: since I've been an AMD user for a while because of the prices of the processors and motherboards, but now I have an opportunity to buy very high end hardware. My dilemma is this: should I go to Intel or AMD for the fastest processors. I know the AMD 64 just came out and Intel is going to release their "extreme" processor, so my brain just hurts even harder thinking of decisions. I just want to know which ones are more overclockable, value priced, and highest end. Thanks!

what do you want out of that "high-end" PC you want to build?
    there is an old saying that there are different horses for different courses.
    imo you should not buy hardware just cos it is THE fastest or latest. if something works for your requirements then why change? (untill you are some millionaire and just like to spend ;) )
    tell us what your requirements are; or otherwise you will just get a HUGE thread debating about whether AMD or Intel is better.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

there has been ongoing discussion in the amd 64 threads and others as well including links to articles that solidify this thinking................but, to make a long story short, i believe consensus is, the amd 64 processor will trounce the EE (emergency edition) :thumb:

Man this is just creating another AMD vs Intel war...

JSR, the A64FX has failed to "trounce Intel" like everyone wanted to see - http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTI0 which is sad considering the upcoming Prescott will be quite a bit faster than the P4.

In all honesty the P4 is still your best bet as it is still the king of overclocking getting you your moneys worth. It is also not a good idea to go A64 right now because of the extreme costs involved ($500 for the cheapest processor) and the fact that they are changing the socket and board around making upgrading not possible for you. PLUS having to buy registered DIMMs that are expensive, slow, and hard to find.

A P4 XE at 3.6 can't be beat by AMD...not even by an overclocked FX51 at 2.6. The XE has shown gains of 1100+ 3Dmarks at the same speed as the P4, so it would be safe to say if macci gets ahold of one Intel will be boosted to an easy lead of close to 28k 3Dmarks...

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11848
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11759
    and, you saw the benchmarks for 3dmarks 03 (dx9) didn't you? posted by the mr. tweak ( like 7500+)........the a64 3200+($450) isn't that far off in price from anything intel's offering right?.....isn't the EE being offered @ like 700 or something?...........and, to do what? stay @ 32 bit?........do what you want bro, i'm goin' 64.........but, you may be right about the wait part, yet i believe the dual channel 939 is going to be pricey as well, yet, this guy isn't streesin' the bucks so who cares

Look at 3DMark01....which is a very good measure of gaming performance. The top AMD rig is at 26k....the top Intel rig is at 26k....give him an XE and he will hit 27-28k, leaving AMD to play catch up with their 64. PLUS that 26k FX51 is having trouble beating Intels current technology, the P4. The P4 is not going to be its competition.....the Prescott is, which will be quite a bit faster than the P4. That, is going to be interesting to see how bad AMD loses on this one.

And why would I need to go to 64 bit? I don't use programs that use more than 4gb of memory (I only have 512mb for christs sake) so what is the point? There isn't one. The Intel is still the better buy.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

and read the link............prescott's gonna be slower than the EE.............hopefully that multiplier is unlocked as well, considering how intel is.......and, they're also close on another thing ........price............so, at that price the 939 dual channel, coming up.............it's an investment soul, next year if and when 64 bit software starts materializing..............i'm not going to be left holding the bag

I just want to build a great gaming station that plays movies really well too.

(edit) REALLY great station!

and work on down from there..............obviously everyone here has an opinion on what that is.........yet, ultimately you will have to decide for yourself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information