Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Fan filters...

Couple of questions about fan filters. First, do they make a system louder (i.e., drag on the filter produces noise)? Second, are they really beneficial? finally, has anyone seen some kind of filter material that one could cut? I need to place it over the 3.5" drive bay that has a 60mm intake at the end. I guess I could always buy filter material, cut it, and the secure it in. Anyways, thx for any help, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

1- No, they do not make the system faster. If the filter is "dragging" on the fan blades, you screwed up during the installation.

2- Yes, they really are beneficial. Dirt and dust are two of the biggest killers of system components over time. The filters greatly reduce the amount of grunge that gets inside the system, but you will need to periodically clean the filters.

3- They do make a filter material that can be bought from most good online computer stores (or locally if you happen to have one), but a lot of folks have had good luck with an old pair of panty hose too. There are also more elaborate filter systems to be had, but it comes down to personal preference as all of them will do the job.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

The fan filters make the system a bit less quiet on mine, I think this is because it restricts the amount of aiflow being taken into the case. As Darthtanion said they are very beneficial.

Sweet, make shift filters! I'm going to have to bother my g/f for some :p . Anywho, I'll defintely buy some. What's the best type of fan filter to get? For my 80mm fan, I want one that will just fit over the fan when I put the screws back in to secure it there, but what's the best kind, a metal mesh? For the 3.5" drive bay, I'll cut up a pair of panty hoes she doesnt want, and then just stretch and electric tape it inside the drive bay. Great idea Darthtanion :thumb: . Noise wont matter as I can just use the new fan controllers I'm getting to turn down the fans a bit more. Anyways, thx for the replies, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Wow, I love having a day off from school to screw around on my comp (Columbus day here in the U.S., w00t :woot: ). Anywho, she gave me a pair of black knee-highs that had a run in them at the top. This is great cause, for those of you who know dell cases, the scheme is black/grey. To try to get a mental picture (sry, I dont have a digital camera yet, working on getting one for X-mas :thumb: ), my tower has 2x 5.25" bays with 2x 3.5" external bays right underneath. The first 3.5" is my floppy, and the second one had just a cover over it. Well, I originally took that out and left it open to the 60mm fan at the end of the cage (intake that blows on my RAM and CPU). Well, the cover is two pieces, an outer frame (used if there was a drive there) and then a piece to pop in and cover it (if there's no drive). Well, I used the outer frame and stretched a cut piece of the black knee high over the back, and electric taped it all the way around (cutting off tape where it could be seen or where it restricted air flow). Then, I just popped it back in, and I must say it looks really nice and professional. I ordered a nice black aluminum mesh screen for my 80mm on the side, and that should do it. Too bad I cant fix up the scratces from the knife I used to cut the plastic to get the fan in. Oh well, should look nice anyways, just wanted to let you guys know, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Well done :thumb:

I just lay out the hose flat, cut a piece about the size of the front of the fan then stretch it around the sides and hold in place with a rubber band.

It doesn't keep the system exactly spotless inside, but it certainly keeps a good deal of the debris out.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Those filters need to be cleaned out every month, they get quite a lot of muck.

yah, I can already see stuff building up, but it looks so sweet from the front, I gotta get a pic for you guys. Anywho, the frame its in is kind of rounded, so I can use a vacumn cleaner about 1/2" away and that should suck out alot of the dirt, and save me the hassle of untaping it, washing it, and then taping it up again. Second, it can probably only take two washings before it starts to seperate :shrug: . Anyways, I'm so pleased with the way it came out, cheers and thx, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Thread Information