Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lost in mobos

I am lost in the never ending choice of mobos

I am planning to build my own comp now that I have got some cash together the only problem is I don't know which mobo to chosse I'm thinking of this set up:

300-400w psu
    athlon 1800-2000 xp
    512 ddr ram
    radeon 8500
    80gb h/d
    sb aug
    cd rw
    as many fans as i can fit in & a few other bits and bobs

so a fast and in the future overclockable (to coin a phrase) mobo

thanks for suggestions
    Only the hard way works.

if you want the best i would go with asus a7v266a i believe that is the name. it's pretty good. it supports raid and i believe it can hold up to 8 ide connections. among other things

Since it appears that you don't have the money yet to start this venture, don't make a final choice yet on the motherboard. While the VIA KT266A based boards are king of the hill right now, the new KT333 chipsets are beginning to see the light of day, and there is talk of an improved KT333A chipset very soon as well.

Basically, if you're going to choose a board NOW, then go with a KT266A based board that has the options you want and need. Most of today's modern motherboards are good quality, so brand name doesn't play as vital a role as it did a year ago.

BUT, if you're going to be waiting for a bit to make your purchase, then look to see what new chipsets are available when you have your funds for the new toy. ;)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

ok, looks like we got three threads on the same subject here

i wana new mobo/cpu combo too, but i want intel, and i've recieved only one respnse, and it was for amd!
    re: $25.00 thread

(yeah onboard raid would be good idea too for my new mobo)

------------

A lot of our readers are like myself and have switched to AMD. It has been about a year and a half since I made the switch, and I can't say what is considered good anymore in the Intel arena. Sorry.
    My Toys

Hey...Darth when are the KT333 mobos coming out. I plan on upgrading in a couple of months. Will i be able to get one then. also will it be worth the value or should i stick with kt266a i was planning to get the asus one that i mentioned earlier in the this thread. i don't want to spend too much.

Most Athlon boards aren't really too pricey, even the ones with onboard RAID. So cost probably won't be much of an issue unless things change dramatically sometime soon.

As for KT333, there may be a couple available right now, but a lot of the manufacturers are getting ready to roll them out in conjunction with the big Tech show coming up in a couple of weeks.

Are they better than the KT266A? I haven't tested one yet, but am in line to have one shippied to me in a couple of weeks. I'll be showing a direct comparison between it and a couple of KT266A based boards so we'll know for sure firsthand. There are also some reviews already on the net of boards using this chipset so you can get a general idea as to its effectiveness.
    My Toys

It's seems to be a little faster than the KT266A, but that's mainly because the bus of the Athlon is capped to 266MHz before any overclocking. Setting the system bus and the CPU FSB asynchronously 333/266 respectively, doesn't appear to do a whole lot for performance. However, any little bit helps. I'm gonna have to snag the Epox KT333 board when it comes out, as I'm really itching to try them out.

If you're gonna buy one right now, I'd go with the Asus A7V266-E. Asus is a good company in general. The only companies I've really not be impressed with are FIC and Abit. I just think that Abit is overrated and not generally worth the money. FIC hasn't really made any board I've run into a remotely pleasant experience. To be fair, this was only one board, so things may improve for you.

The only place where the KT333 shows improvement over the KT266A is when DMA hardware is accessing memory as it's not cutting bandwidth from the CPU. :smokin:

how big a diff wiggo?

and if so save ya money and go for 277 then?:bounce:
    Only the hard way works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information