Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding my VAIO(oh no!) {Merged Threads}

What's up guys, I finally got a spending limit on my new pc project that is going to take place this christmas, and I really don't know too much about what is out there that is good in terms of compatability, pricing, and reliability in computer hardware(except for vid cards and cpus ). So here is my rig right now:

Intel P4 2Ghz(but it is a really slow, and crappy P4)
    512 Hyundai RAM PC2100(:laugh: )
    SiS 650 chipset(:cry: )
    55GB HD that came with the PC(using in new pc, along with CD-ROMS, and floppy)
    and I did happen to throw in an ATI Visiontek Extasy 128mb PCI vid card, just because I got it for free from a friend.(ain't too bad considering)

So......considering these specs, I know I want to over clock my new rig, but I don't want to specialize in OCing too much, so please, no hundred dollar water cooling systems/heatsinks/fans etc. I just need this ew rig to handle some newer games like HL2, and Doom 3 well, and mostly, this is just going to be a gaming pc, with the usual use of school projects, and a little bit of software development.

I know I need these for sure:
    -new mobo for OCing capabilities, and preferably dual channel
    -new cpu, with new faster RAM
    -possibly a new video card???
    -new case of course, because this VAIO case is small, and purple(:?: )

So, if you guys could help me out, and explain the goodies about what you are trying to get me to buy for this rig, I would really appreciate it, thanks.

EDIT: All this talk, and I forgot to tell you my excuse of a spending limit: a measly, but hopefully well spent 200-300$.

Well, 200-300 isnt gonna get you a system that'll play newer games, but maybe in installments we can get it up there :D .

For highest performance while overclocking, and at minimum price, you're going to want an AMD "Barton" 2500+. They go for around $85, and you can o/c them from the stock 1.8GHz to 2.2GHz easily. Although this is only 200MHz faster than your current CPU, AMD's are incredibly efficient, and therefore your performance will go way up :D .

RAM-wise, you're going to want some Corsair 3200. When you o/c the 2500+ from 333FSB, you'll go to 400FSB, which is the specified speed for this RAM, and then you can run the RAM/FSB in 1:1 sync, which = major performance. 512MB (2x256) of Corsair PC3200 is about $130.

Motherboard wise I dont know much about AMD mobo's, but some people aroudn here can def suggest something good. You'll want an nForce2 chipset, because of its dual channel capablities (those two sticks of 256MB will run in dual channel which = major performance). A good nForce2 board can be had for $80+ depending on which options you choose, someone esle will reply with more info on it.

You're at $290-$300 right now. When you o/c that Barton, you'll want to add a nice HSF beyong stock (stock AMD HSF's arent the greatest :( ). About another $25. Other than that, if you want to play HL2 adequately, you'll have to come up with another $150 for a Radeon 9600Pro, and then you should be set. That's the best I can do mate, but that system will really fly for you. The only thing that might slow it down is that 60GB HDD, depending on what it is, it might not. Well, see what other people suggest, but for your price range, that will do it nicely :cheers: . Good luck with it, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

IMO ppl who have "Name Brand" boxes and want to upgrade them should be sent to the house. :eek:

Do ya self a favour and just leave it alone, plan a whole new system and save up a few more $'s for it. It'll be money better spent.

Yeah, I was leaning towards something like what you prescribed. I realize that I am going to need a better graphics card to play those new games, so maybe I will just sell something in the future to get that, so we'll leave that out for now, because I think my Extasy should hold out good enough for the games I play now(UT2k3, BF1942). I have it OCed to a core of 285, and mem of 270, so that's not bad.

One major question, how much of a difference in performance and OCing capabilities would I get if I were to not go for the 2 256 sticks, and just get say one 512 stick???

Thanks.

EDIT: Wiggo, I know what you mean, but I am on a budget, and I am pretty much buying a new PC, with the use of my CD, floppy, and hard drives, which are not bad. I could always upgrade those in the future, so it's not a big deal, but I know what you mean, I just didn't know jack about computers when I made that stupid purchase.

I'm pretty sure you wont be able to hook up a new motherboard to your Sony case because they use different power connectors. You have to have a Sony motherboard for a Sony case. None the less, here's what I recommend:

AMD 1800+XP: $52
    Heat Sink/Fan: $20
    Abit NF7: $82
    Gigabyte ATI Radeon 9200 : $69.99
    OCZ DDR PC-3200 512mb- $96.75
    Aspire X-Dreamer w/ 350watt PS: $46

$366.74

(All prices from NewEgg)
    Case: Aspire X-Alien Silver
    Power Supply: Antec True430
    Motherboard: Abit IC7-MAX3
    Processor: Pentium 4 2.6c
    Memory: Corsair XMS PC3500 1024MB(512x2)
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Speakers: Logitech Z-680

This is basically what ya lookin' at to start off with an Intel based upgrade with reasonable parts that perform well.

Chieftec alloy black case w/ 450W PSU = $73
    Intel P4 2.4C = $186
    ASUS P4P800 Deluxe = $126
    KINGSTON HyperX PC4000 2 x 256MB = $155
    Total from newegg.com = $540us ;)

Would there be any way for me to attach my VAIO power supply to the new pc??? If so, would this be hard?? It sure would save me some money.

A few Name Brand builders use a non-standard wirin' harness setup for their PSU's that is not compatible with standard mobo's but whether Sony uses this practise also I can't say (or if it'll have enough power). :shrug:

Well, I am determined to OC this damn OEM VAIO, and one of the ways that I think I could oc atleast a little bit is with the use of CPUFSB. Ok, so here is a pic of what the CPUFSB interface looks like on my comp, so, now is the part where (hopefully) your help comes in.....what to set to what value, and why, so I can sorta begin understanding this OC deal. Thanks.

Arsenal11, you really didn't need to start a new thread with that ya know :)

btw, are you aware that you can take a screen shot of just a window with Alt + PrtScr? save yourself some time with all that funky editing

:cheers:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information