Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: getting a new system, advice needed

I just found out that my job has a reimbursement program for you buying a new pc if you use on the job programs at home too. They are giving me a $2800 limit. So far i know i want the new athalon 64 fx51, asus mobo/n-force 3, gf fx5950 ultra. What i'm not sure on is the hard drive and memory. I looked on the asus website and it looks like it only supports dual channel ddr400. So does this mean I cannot get anything faster? The hard drive i'm lost. there are so many. I hear alot of people argue over raid and whether or not it's worth it. My concerns about the components are that i want to overclock what i can. You helped alot with my other thread. But basically what I found out was that I had all the wrong stuff. So I don't wanna do that to myself again. So what would you get? Any help would be much appreciated.

Quite frankly I wouldn't buy an Athlon FX until the new core revision comes out or ya only upgrade path will be with Opteron CPU's.
    Go with a good i865/i875 based mobo and P4C processor with PC3500+ memory if ya can't wait for the new core revision.

When are those revisions supposed to happen? Maybe i can wait a little longer.

No exact time yet but they tell us early next year sometime.

The FX51 requires registered DIMMs which are much more expensive than normal RAM. Not to mention the said nonexistant upgrade path because they are changing the pinout on the CPU and the boards to boot.

You would think a board with no memory controller would be cheaper than past boards, but no...

Its just too expensive to warrant building at the moment. A properly set up Intel rig will match it (with the exception being those who take it to the extremes) for a lot less dough.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

You could get an Athlon 64 3200+, but there really hasn't been a good N-force 3 motherboard to support it yet, but there are some good VIA chipsets though.
    Case: Aspire X-Alien Silver
    Power Supply: Antec True430
    Motherboard: Abit IC7-MAX3
    Processor: Pentium 4 2.6c
    Memory: Corsair XMS PC3500 1024MB(512x2)
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Speakers: Logitech Z-680

what kinda job did you get..i want it

Thread Information