Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Last thoughts about what to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    Do you need 2 hardrives of the same type to make raid work?
    Yes, but you might want to rethink buying SATA Hardrives. I don't think its claimed speed has been proven; plus, you will have to buy SATA drives to use with your SATA Raid Controller.
    - Damien

Quote Originally Posted by FLaCo
    Yes, but you might want to rethink buying SATA Hardrives. I don't think its claimed speed has been proven; plus, you will have to buy SATA drives to use with your SATA Raid Controller.

: omg: , By the time I get around to using Raid I might have those kind of drives. Does Raid really make that big of difference in speed anyway?

I think IDE drives tranfer around 65mb per second and SATA transfers around 150mb per second. Correct me if i am wrong. But it should be around there some where. (hmm mMm somewhere over the rainbow..LALa!! hrmph.)
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Quote Originally Posted by AsianBatman
    I think IDE drives tranfer around 65mb per second and SATA transfers around 150mb per second. Correct me if i am wrong. But it should be around there some where. (hmm mMm somewhere over the rainbow..LALa!! hrmph.)
    I think the first Motherboard I ever bought had Raid on it. It was an Asus board that I used in my first P2 system I built back about 6 years ago. Correct me if I'm wrong but Raid didn't seem to be that popular back then and if I'm right its nothing new at all. Why would it be so popular now if it wasn't used much back then?

Quote Originally Posted by AsianBatman
    I think IDE drives tranfer around 65mb per second and SATA transfers around 150mb per second. Correct me if i am wrong.
    Ok I will, ATA100 = 100MB p/s, ATA133 = 133MB p/s and yes SATA = 150MB p/s but they are all theoretic burst rate numbers as ATA133 performs no better than ATA100 and SATA doesn't even come close to its numbers either (in fact little or no better than ATA100 especially if the controller has to use the PCI bus whose rate is 133MB p/s. SATA II maybe a different story but I personally can't see the point of usin' SATA over ATA100 atm unless ya need those thin cables for better airflow in a small case. RAID itself isn't really worth it either unless ya plan on usin' it as a server or very heavy video editing where huge amounts of data are being dealt with but that to will be limited by the PCI bus if the controller works thru it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information