Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: WindowsXP COA

Will buying multiple windowsXP Certificate of Authenticities let me use one copy of windows to install on computers but let me use give the certificates, manuals, etc. with the individual computers? Do I have to buy a seperate copy of windows for each computer or can I just give out the COAs with them?

Yes, your CoA's will allow you to install the OS on different machines. When you start buying these, you'll find the media pack is a separate item to buy and is not required for installation... BUT...

If you're purchasing these to install on a lot of machines for the purpose of selling the systems, it is always advisable to include the media necessary to either restore the system from an image or the OS installation disk. Otherwise you're opening yourself up for some serious technical support issues when non-computer literate folks screw up their system. After all, who will they come to for assistance?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

MAN that was fast! Thanks for your reply. I intend to supply restore cds, but the fact is that the full install cds are just a little too expensive for my market. I wonder, could I supply copies of the cd, legally, with the COAs?

Nope... even if you legally purchase a single install disk and several licenses, you run into the issue of piracy if you make copies of your Windows media disks. :(

The licensing scheme was actually created for a corporate use where you have several machines running the same software. If you're making PCs for sale, your best bet is to go for an OEM version which you can add the costs to the machine. Also, you might want to double check the licensing agreement for your intended use. Thinking back, I'm not sure what changes were recently (within the past year) made to Microsoft's open licensing agreements. It may be against their EULA to use the licensing plan in the way you want to use it. I'm not sure on this point, so its better safe than sorry.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/p...en/default.asp
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thanks, you might have saved me more money on lawyers now than I would have on bad licenses!:cheers:

Thread Information