Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Which mobo supports Prescott?

I thought someone had posted the answer to this already and have been searching but have come up empty. Anyone know? I believe it was an ABIT wasnt it? Looked on their site, but came up empty there too:?:
    I'm a newb. Be nice.
    3.0C P4
    WD Raptor primary drive
    Maxtor 120Gb secondary
    ASUS p4c800 deluxe mobo
    1024MB Kingston pc3200 memory
    SB Audigy 2 LS Sound Card
    Lite on cd-rw/dvd combo drive
    Thermaltake Lanfire case w/ 420w PS
    Logitech z-640 speakers
    Sapphire 9600XT
    ...just need a monitor

I believe several manufacturers say they're 865 or 875 boards will support the Prescott's. However I would be somewhat skeptical about this until the Prescott's are actually released as Intel may go and change the specs on it. Also, after the first generation of prescott's Intel is switching to an LGA775 socket so no current mobo will support those Prescotts. :2cents:

The only motherboard I know of that supports the Socket 478 Prescott was the Abit AI7 i865..
    Case: Aspire X-Alien Silver
    Power Supply: Antec True430
    Motherboard: Abit IC7-MAX3
    Processor: Pentium 4 2.6c
    Memory: Corsair XMS PC3500 1024MB(512x2)
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Speakers: Logitech Z-680

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2010
    The only motherboard I know of that supports the Socket 478 Prescott was the Abit AI7 i865..
    thats the one i was thinking of!:geek:
    I'm a newb. Be nice.
    3.0C P4
    WD Raptor primary drive
    Maxtor 120Gb secondary
    ASUS p4c800 deluxe mobo
    Logitech z-640 speakers
    Sapphire 9600XT
    ...just need a monitor

The Chaintech 9CJS is the one I'm getting. I think its the best mobo, check it out! (it comes with a remote:cheers: )

The new MSI boards do too (very nice boards may I add). They changed the codes so that there is a P in front of them now (ex. from Neo2-FIS2R to Neo2-PFISR). Anyways, check those out, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

Quote Originally Posted by bodmanza
    I thought someone had posted the answer to this already and have been searching but have come up empty. Anyone know? I believe it was an ABIT wasnt it? Looked on their site, but came up empty there too:?:

There are probably more mainboards that will support the Prescott processor than you think. I recently ordered a refurbished Gigabyte board that supports it with a bios update, so I'm thinking there are probably alot more compatable m-boards out there that can do the same thing with a flash bios, they just don't advertise it becuase the board can't do it out of the box until its simply updated.

well, I just got me an ASUS p4c800 on boxing day, lets hope the prescott is compatible with that!
    Now i have to decided what proc. to use for now:shh:
    I'm a newb. Be nice.
    3.0C P4
    WD Raptor primary drive
    Maxtor 120Gb secondary
    ASUS p4c800 deluxe mobo
    Logitech z-640 speakers
    Sapphire 9600XT
    ...just need a monitor

Like I have said before, I do not recommend buying a motherboard now expecting future processor support. Wait until the time comes and then see whats available.

I know of someone with a Prescott and its just sitting in a board awaiting a BIOS update because it won't work correctly yet.

Just nothing is guaranteed. Besides, they are switching to Land Grid Array 775 socket with the new chipsets the quarter after.

The first Prescotts out will not be at their full potential, and especially not on the older boards (865/875).

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Quote Originally Posted by bodmanza

Now i have to decided what proc. to use for now:shh:

The Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz 800MHz FSB is cheap compared to what it was a couple months ago, so I decided to go with one of those for my new system. I'm running one on this refurbished board I ordered from New Egg for $85(US). I'm very pleased to find out that its rock solid stable so far.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=BROWSE&depa=0

Oh yeah, and as for looking to far in the future for good Prescott support on a mainboard, I would wait to get a 775-pin socket M-Board vs. the current 478-pin socket one. I have a feeling our 478-pin boards will be antiques soon enough even if they support the first round of Prescott CPU's.

If you read the second to the last paragraph (first page) on this artical it makes me think that the Gigabyte brand mainboard like I have may be the only current brand that can actually fully support the first Prescott CPU's anyway.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTY1

Thread Information