Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which AMD with what mobo?

I was looking into buying a new motherboard and cpu. I would be using this system for mostly gaming. I am on a tight budget, and want to get the best bang for my buck. I was thinking of going with an Asus A7V Socket A VIA KT133 mobo, but not sure if its the best thing i can get for cheap. I was going to run it with either a 1.2 ghz duron or a 1.4 ghz athlon tbird(open to suggestions as well). What is the difference? What will run at better performance with the latest games at the lowest price? Should i go for the DDR mobo or is SDRAM just as good? Help me look, i cant decide.
    Here are my specifications:
    Dont care about mobo as long as it is AMD based
    5pci, 1 agp slot
    i cant decide about ram. so,3 ddr or sdram slots

Im looking to spend 200 on both the proccessor and mobo

With your budget and a reputable online store, I found an Athlon T-Bird 1333 and an EPoX 8KHA+ motherboard. It would require the additional purchase of DDR memory, but it is well worth the investment. Just unlock the processor and see how far you can go with it. :)

Here's a link:
    http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/ViewBa...UNDLE-AMD.hmx?

If you can raise your budget about $25, you can get into a low-end Athlon XP processor, but this one will perform well.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

what is the difference between an athlon xp anyway, and say an athlon tbird? is athlon xp only for windows xp?

also, i have limited knowledge, and experience. I would rather have it be retail so that i can have the mobo manual.

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Flash
    what is the difference between an athlon xp anyway, and say an athlon tbird? is athlon xp only for windows xp?
    An Athlon XP is the latest version of the Athlon processor. It's got some more advanced features to the TBird, and in general will perform better than a TBird will. It is not operating system specific, so it's not just for Windows XP (although WinXP will run very well with it)

If you can somehow afford to get a MB that supports an XP chip, go for it. That way, you will make life easier trying to upgrade in the future. Also, DDR-RAM is a better alternative to SD-RAM, so again, if you can afford to get this, then it's highly suggested that you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash
    also, i have limited knowledge, and experience. I would rather have it be retail so that i can have the mobo manual.
    Only the procesor is OEM. The mainboard I linked is retail and a manual will be included. Actually, you'll get two of them (I have the same board that I bought from this same company).

The only difference between an OEM processor and a retail version is the inclusion of a HSF (heatsink/fan combo) and a longer warranty. But let's think about that for a sec... the retail HSF units generally suck, and the first time you overclock your processor, you void the warranty. So save a few bucks and get an OEM processor and overclock the hell out of it!

Oh... and about the difference between a T-Bird and an Athlon XP? I just recently upgraded processors. I had a T-Bird 1000MHz that I had running at 1400MHz. I bought a new Athlon XP 1800+ and without overclocking it I was getting a 10-15% performance gain! It's worth it, plain and simple. Plus, the newer processor handles the Intel SSE intruction set natively so will be able to run programs designed for the Intel chips better than ever. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

ok, i think ive got it. i saw this on newegg.com. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...ion=13-180-004
    its the first one on the page
    (SOLTEK SL-75DRV4 (Purple Ray Ver.) VIA KT266A AMD Althon & Duron DDR **ATA133** 200/266 MHz FSB Socket A ATX MOTHERBOARD - RETAIL )

Now, what speed should i go for-as as fast as i can? i was leaning toward a athlon xp 1700, 1600, or 1500.

The XP1600-1700+'s are in the best price bracket so take ya choice from either. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

yep. as Wiggo said..the 1600+ or the 1700+...One of the Online retailers here in Qld(aust) actually has the 1700+ for the same price as the 1600+ atm:)
    Madness is the gift that has been given to me!

*Slaps Ollie, Beffy and Mouse with The Creators lifeless carcuss.....then ties up Morgan lander and forces him to listen to ****ty pop music for hours..bwahaha

if i decide to go with an athlon instead, i can still upgrade to an amd xp later, right? the mobo detail specs say "AMD Socket-462 Athlon XP / Athlon / Duron processor" and "Optimized for all Socket-A processors"

im just checking :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information