Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Wireless PCMCIA Card

I spend a while looking for a review comparing multiple wireless cards, but was unable to find any?

I'm in the market for one, and I would like to know whats bad, and whats good.

Thanks...
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

if you are planning some wardrives, i woud suggest getting one with external antena capabilities, like Orinoco Silver or Gold :thumb:

Well form the other brands this is what i can tell you

Linksys ( i use v3 802.11b) is a great card and great tech support from Linksys (very good range)

Dlink not bad cards BUT if you dont get it running at 1st dont bother trying any more just return it you are not going to get it to run also they have really crappy tech support (1/2 range of linksys)

Belkin not bad when they were around but recently there isnt much new stuff they have out (good range)

US robotics this stuff used to be the best for modems and so on well the new 802.11G products are **** i mean the routers have compatibility problems with 80% of cards out there (almost all internal cards), most of the time this stuff does not work and gets returned (range does not matter if u cant connect)

Microsoft is really easy to set up for the most part if you are using an all M$ setup it works quite well. dont know much about tech support or how good it is (very good range)

Others they are out there but i have not tested any of them as far as ones with external antennas they do offer a bit better range and also the Asus WL100 has an external antena and i heard it was not too bad but i have not tried it. Orinoco Silver or Gold seem to be preatty popular and they are quite pricy but they do offer the external antenna.

I dont mean to bash any companies with this post but working for a major retailer i see how things work and how often they get returned for the most part the bottom line is no matter what you get its almost 90% of products that get returned have nothing wrong with them its just the user does not know how to use it / set it up.

Yea I've had a good experience with the Linksys 802.11b card myself. It picks up signals very well.
    "Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires! We could buy all kinds of useful things like...love!"

Thanks alot guys....

Any experience with SMC ones Max?
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

the only thing i know about SMC is they they are the cheapest cards out there. I cant give you any more as i have no experiance with them as the place that i work at does not sell them. sorry

I've never used their PCMCIA card, but I have an SMC wireless router, as well as 3 USB wireless adapters all of which work quite well :thumb:

Thread Information