Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Should I upgrade?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004


    Hey everyone,

    I havn't updated my PC in about 1-1.5 years and I think its time to update it to prepare for upcoming next generation games.

    This is my current set-up:

    Processor: Athlon XP +2200 @ 1.8
    Motherboard: A7N8X-D
    Memory: 512MB DDR (not sure which brand)
    Video Card: GeForce 4 ti4600
    Sound Card: SB Live! Platinum
    Operating System: Windows XP Pro

    and this is the updated one (canadian prices):

    *Processor: Athlon 64 FX-51 ($1000)
    Looking for something to last me for another 1-2 years.

    *Motherboard: ASUS SK8V - VIA K8T800 Motherboard ($280)

    *Memory: 1GB Corsair XMS DDR SDRAM PC-3200, ECC ($380)

    *Video Card: Not sure
    Have no idea what to buy atm.

    Sound Card: SB Live! Platinum
    Sound isnt really a big deal for me since I don't use speakers nor watch DVD's so i figure I can save a few hundred there.

    *Operating System: Windows XP Pro 64bit
    Hopefull its released by june.

    The total upgrade should come up to about $1700-1800 with shipping.

    I was wondering if I should just buy this system right now and wait till newer games come out, new cards, etc. to upgrade the video card. Or should I just wait and upgrade the entire system?

    Currently atm, I play Counter-strike competitively and my current comp seems to able to play the game to its fullest extent without any problems. I want to get into World of WarCraft once it comes out and be able to play it on some nice gfx settings aswell. I usually only stick with one game at a time.

    Thanks a lot!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003


    While that is a great setup, we have a lot of new technologies coming in the next month alone, not to mention all the new chipsets, processors and video cards coming in the following months this spring.

    You may want to wait.

    FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2001


    Yea, if at all possible wait till August or so.... BTX form factor, PCI Express, Fully Serial ATA, Gigabit Onboard NIC, etc...
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004


    thanks guys, yea maybe I should wait on upgrading until I will actually need it, that way all the newer technologies will be out! and the prices will sore down!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2003


    Get the new tech, that way you wont screw yourself into having un-upgradeable parts. You dont want to be left with a scooter while everyone else has moved on to bikes :thumb: . : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

    Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts