Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: new mobo and probly processor fan

i put my system together almost a year ago and quite like it and have recently decided to OC it. Given that I'm a n00b at overclocking, I didn't get a sufficient mobo (shuttle ak39n) or fan (some $6 thermaltake).

So now I'm in the market for a good mobo and fan. I've looked around and heard good things about the Abit NF7-S. Anyone have any other recomendations? How about for fans/sinks? Oh, and of course, I'm trying to to do this on the cheap.

Ohyah, I'm running an Athlon XP 2000+.
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    Shuttle AK39/N
    Some sort of DDR RAM...

Yeah - The NF7-S is a good buy for OC'in.

As far as coolin goes, Thermaltake Volcano 11 is fairly highly regarded, although it'll lighten your wallet to the tune of around $50.

Make sure you get some good thermal paste. eg, Artic silver 5. Mine was useless with the stock paste.

A good case fro system coolin is recommended, but you'll need atleast $150 to do that properly.
    ~AlthonXP T-Bred 2,600 @ 2305mhz~
    ~Epox 8RDA+~
    ~Hercules Radeon 9800XT 256mb~
    ~512 Corsair P3200 @ 6,2,2,2.0~
    ~WD1200JB HDD~
    ~Antec 1080 Plus~

Quote Originally Posted by Cataclysm
    Yeah - The NF7-S is a good buy for OC'in.

As far as coolin goes, Thermaltake Volcano 11 is fairly highly regarded, although it'll lighten your wallet to the tune of around .

Make sure you get some good thermal paste. eg, Artic silver 5. Mine was useless with the stock paste.

A good case fro system coolin is recommended, but you'll need atleast 0 to do that properly.
    Um seein' as he's in the US and not Aussieland that HSF would be more likely about $28us but both the Volcano 7+ (about $18us) and Volcano 12 (about $39us) out perform it but if money is no object then Thermalright SLK-947U heatsink for about $40us plus a decent fan (about $10us) would be the best plus a case with good airflow as HSF's need to breathe well to work properly (good thermal is always a must).
    That mobo is good so long as ya get the version 2.0 and the EPoX 8RDA3I or 8RDA3+, ASUS A7N8X or A7N8X-E Deluxe and DFI NFII Ultra-INFINITY or LANPARTY NFII Ultra B are also good choices.

yah, after reading some stuff here, I'd pretty much decided on the DFI Ultra Infinity and I think the Thermaltake 11 fan. It might be a couple of months before I get anything tho.
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    Shuttle AK39/N
    Some sort of DDR RAM...

Thread Information