Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrade or build new?

Beefy Guest

That barebones system doesn't have any video. I'm not saying that you should get integrated to start with, it's just a suggestion. IF you can afford it, you can always get a 9700 Pro or something straight away...

Damn. Too bad. I'll look through the Radeon cards on the ATI sites but I don't think I can find anything affordable that's good. I could always just go with your board (if I had a link or something anyway) but then I still need help with a bunch more hardware (processor, RAM, PSU, case).

Edit: 9600 XT sure does look appealing (Half-Life 2 like the 9800 XT), but a 9600 SE looks like the only thing that will be affordable and good.:( Or I could jump down to a 9200 but would that be a good idea?

I think I might go with the integrated if I get a good link. Where'd you get yours Beefy?

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    That system looks pretty nice. Does the the mobo come with that integrated video Beefy was talking about? You think that plus RAM, case, cords and anything else I need would be doable for under 0? I figure 768 PC3200 and a cheap case\PSU would bring it slightly over 0. What else would I need? Just cords? Looks like it can already support 6 USB. Beefy or anyone else have any objections? That looks pretty good. I could probably sell this thing to a friend for 0-0 (more, but I can't totally rip him off) leaving me enough money to get it.
    Now why would ya want to stick 768MB of Ram into a dual channel mobo? :confused:
    2 x 512mB sticks would be a lot better.

More expensive. :( But yeah that would make more sense. For now I'm going to call $350 my budget. If I can get what we've been talking about so far and dual 512 PC3200 on that budget it works for me.

But then ya could always get an ASUS P4P800 mobo and 2 x 512MB PC3200-3500 which will give that old 2.0 P4 a boost (even overclock it) and get another CPU later (P4C) but ya'll likely be able to get a R9600P/XT so ya can have some decent video action happenin'.

My frined won't buy this without a processor. :( But it's still something to consider since I can always buy a new processor (assuming it fits my budget).

Beefy Guest

Dual channel doesn't do that much. I'd be quite happy with a system with that amount of RAM.

Seriously, with a 2.0 Ghtz gateway, you should seriously just consider waiting until next summer / fall / late fall... By then PCI Express will be out in force, and BTX will as well. Not to mention full 64 bit support AND full serial ATA, Gigabit ethernet, etc . etc.

You can't do much with 300$ to beat what you have, and therefore if you save your money it will be MUCH better spent on hardware that will last.

Save up another 700 bucks, and by next fall you will get a computer that is rocking, and most importantly not immediatly outdated. If you buy a case today, you will never be able to put a new mobo in it.

In summary, 300$ spent to help your situation right now will get you almost nowhere. 300$ spent next fall and you'll have parts that will be interchangable with parts many years down the road.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

I couldn't make $700 in the next year if my life depended on it. However, I have some good news. Unless something goes wrong, I should be selling this to my friend for $330. I'm also giveing him a 20 GB hard drive that I have yet to get, but that's not a big issue. That brings my budget up to $450 - $470, accounting for the HDD. I still need some links to specific boards I can buy (if nothing else), since I'm not really sure what I'm going to want. We'll just worry about the RAM and such later, mobo and processor should come first. Note that I don't need incredible performance or anything -- I just want to be able to play some of the named games smoothly. It could be two years until I look into 64-bit processing, unless I get a whole bunch of money between now and then.

For a vid card you may want too consider the ATI Radeon 9000 128-Mb of RAM it can be had for about ~$70 USD and would give you decent proformance.

You may want to check this TT thread

If your ready to spend $20-30 USd for intigrated grpahics this isn't that much more.

If that is still too expensive you can try the normal 9000 w/64 Mb of vRAM and that comes at about ~$57 bucks at NewEgg.com, HERE .
    If the stuff in glow sticks is truly toxic then why do they make so many flavors?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information