Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrade or build new?

We'll see how much I have after everything else is decided, but I guess I'll probably go with or the 9200. But I still don't know what mobo.:cry:

Edit: I think I won't get a board with the onboard video, assuming that makes it at all more expensive than an equivelent. It doesn't do me any good. There's no vertex or cell shading support, and my current card plays my games that don't require either, even if just barely.

Edit: http://www.gameve.com/gve/store/prod...?sku=VC-SA-035
    Does that look good for video? Cheap, has pixel\vertex shader, DX 8.1.
    Edit:
    http://store.yahoo.net/s168/el51ddr400mh.html
    http://store.yahoo.net/s168/el25ddr400mh.html
    Will that work? I would have gone dual 512 but it seems like I won't be able to fit it in my budget.
    Edit: If I got the barebones system llisted on page 1 and a $25 case\PSU that should bring the current total to $428, unless someone thinks I should change something. That should leave room for any cords or fans and such that I need, right?

First off, Digi4life’s listing on resellerratings.com isn’t great.

Check NewEgg.

You can get an nForce 400 board starting at $57 USD, an Athlon XP “Barton” 2600+ at about $80, and a great case w/350w PSU for $52. Total will be around $200 with superior components and a slightly faster CPU.

nForce 400-Ultra by BioStar w/Realtek on board audio $65

Athlon XP 2600+ "Barton" $91

And The Apsire X-Dreamer II Case $52

Total = $208

That gives you better components: a slightly more powerful CPU, and perhaps better onboard audio, and a kick-ass case with high-end features like a motherboard tray and removable HD rack.

Now to RAM: 512-Mb PC-3200 $75

Total = $283

Now for a video card, with about $177 to $197 to spend you actually get a bit of a choice between some really nice cards:

For a GeForce 5900SE $189

That brings your total to $472

OR

get a Readon 9700 Pro for $194

That would brings your total to $477.

I think the 9700 Pro is a better choice but I'm really not sure. Can't find good benchmarks.

I know these are on the high side, but if You can swing it it's worth it. I don't know if there will be a price cut when nVidia/ATI release their new vid cards, hopefully that will happen within the next two months.
    If the stuff in glow sticks is truly toxic then why do they make so many flavors?

Thanks!:thumb:

I think I might drop down a tad (9600?) in video and add more RAM (256?).
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...150-596&depa=1
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-325&depa=1
    But we still need to talk about cooling. That's where I'm pretty clueless.

^ god job yeas buy that 9700.!

I just looked at ATI's site. If I'm not mistaken, that card normally goes for more than twice the price he found. Okay, so I'm getting that.: omg:

That goes over my limit, unfortunately. I can have no case, PSU, or fans, and that's $468 (if I get 768 MB RAM, that is). I guess something has to go but I want that video card and RAM.:cry:
    I'lll see if I can find anything cheaper on newegg.

Edit: Anything wrong with this?:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...138-216&depa=1
    Doesn't lose much (if I'm reading correctly) but cost $12 less, which is a lot on my budget.
    Or this?:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...talog=7&depa=0
    That's another $17 less.
    Couldn't find could RAM for cheaper. That make the total:
    $491 U.S. That comes with fans (but I'll probably want more for OCing, right). I think I can (and will) do that. I know I said $470 but I got another $25. And who knows, maybe I can get another $20 or so out of my parents.:devil win :devil: :flames:

Edit: Part of the deal was I gave my friend a 20GB hard drive.
    http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h_strg_423451W.html
    Looks good?
    Now the 512 is out of stock. I'll find something else, though.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...999-330&depa=0
    Seems good. And it saves $3!

Well, couple of things. Biostar mobos arent that great (stability issues), I wouldnt recommend getting one. I did some looking around and put this together:

CPU: 2500+ Barton $80, it isnt worth the extra $11 to get a 2600+ for 70MHz more, you could O/c this past that with little stress on the system.

Board: Abit NF7 $78, great Abit board, sound, etc

Memory:
    512MB Corsair Value RAM, Dual Channel , $90, great RAM for the price, and the extra 256 you want to buy is not worth it, an optimized dual channel pair is more than enough.

Case: Antec SLK3700AMB , $65, 2x120mm fans offers great cooling, low noise (and you only have to buy 1 more 120mm fan, instead of two or three 80mm), and Antec PSU's are top notch.

Video card: Ati 9700Pro , $194, that's an insanely good deal.

Total $507. Def use that $20 you get out of your parents. This system will overclock to 3200+ speeds, giving you an insanely fast comp, you wont be disappointed. Although you might want to get a different HSF for the processor beyond the stock one. Anyways, spending the extra $30 will defintely be worth it IMHO.

Anyways, good luck selling your old comp and buying your new one, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

I second everything Mista K6 just said, (especially Don't go with Biostar!) And don't forget a Heatsink fan!

TT Volcano 7+

BTW, did you forget--?

Hard Drive (Serial ATA would be a good idea)
    Processor Heatsink?
    Floppy Drive?
    CD-RW?
    DVD-Rom?
    Network Card?
    Modem?
    Thermal Paste?
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Beefy Guest

as long as you're not planning on overclocking, the retail Heatsink work fine...

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul

BTW, did you forget--?

Hard Drive (Serial ATA would be a good idea)
    Processor Heatsink?
    Floppy Drive?
    CD-RW?
    DVD-Rom?
    Network Card?
    Modem?
    Thermal Paste?
    Nope (haven't gotten to heatsink though). Read the first page. My hard drive isn't great but $507 is already pushing it.

I am planning on overclocking (crap), and I want more RAM than 512 MB. When I need more in the future that's pretty much $90 down the toilet as I will have no use for it. But it's cheaper than what I have (barely :(), so I'll go with it, for now. I'll take the advice and forget the biostar mobo, but I'm going to see if I can go cheaper than $78. I don't even have everythin I need and over $500 is too much, so I will need to get some stuff cheaper. I like the video (still do, very good deal :)) and the case Mista suggested, except I'm pretty sure it doesn't come with cooling. It's says "Up to 2 x 120mm fans." It doesn't say the package includes them. i might stick with the case Smokey said (the one I found comes with a bad fan and got bad reviews). I'll go for the cheaper processor because we've now alloted some more money in cooling (still need some good extra heat sink and fans) so OCing up past 70MHz shouldn't be a problem.

Beefy Guest

You can always start with 512MB ram and get more later...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information