Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrade or build new?

Start with less RAM. You just don't have the money to spend to build a good comp AND have more RAM.

Even though you think you're spending only $12 less on a vid card you are moving from a High end card to a mid-range card. Thats a huge step down.

You can check the numbers here:
    Here

A quick way to price out your comp is too first put it together on one site. Then, once you're satisfice, start looking for the best prices for each components. Remember to include shipping and tax(if any) in the cost of parts.

Also, first things first, put together a list of *EVERYTHING* you're going to need.

i.e.
    Case
    CPU
    HD cables
    UPS
    etc.

EDIT: Oh, and another thing, do you have a copy of Windows to install on this comp? If not you need to add that in your costs.
    If the stuff in glow sticks is truly toxic then why do they make so many flavors?

You can always start with 512MB ram and get more later...
    The last RAM suggested was dual 256 sold together (for dual channel, which is nice), not 512. That's the problem, if I want more RAM later it's gone. I'll go with less RAM for now, but so far it can't be any of the suggested.

Even though you think you're spending only less on a vid card you are moving from a High end card to a mid-range card. Thats a huge step down.
    I said I changed my mind and decided to keep the video.

Stuff I need:
    Processor -- we got that covered
    Mobo -- covered
    Case -- okay for now
    RAM -- still need
    Video -- covered
    Cooling (fans, sink, etc.) -- need
    Cords -- still need but I'm not worried about it

HDD, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard, all covered

Ok, well, found a great mobo for cheaper :D :

Shuttle AN35N $65!!!!

It's an nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset, 8x AGP, everything, read the review, they got the board running well at 241MHz, and the most you'll have to go up to is 200MHz, so no worries there.

I really wouldn't worry up RAM, 512MB in dual channel is more than enough. If you optimize XP, you wont need anymore unless you're running it as a server.

You'll need Windows XP, upgrade versions are $45, so you could get one of those. If not, take the XP CD from your Gateway and use that, and tell your friend he needs to get an OS for it.

Here's a DVD/CD-RW combo drive, this lite-on is wicked cheap, but it works really well, my friend's had one for a year, no coasters, fast, good drive.
    Liteon LTC48161H $48

If you want a new HDD get a Western Digital WD800JB $81, they are insanely fast for that price.

Of course this is going to make the comp a little more expensive, but its the whole aspect of buy good parts now so you dont get screwed later and burn something out or have to upgrade.

Oh yah, for a HS, go to eBay, here;s a brand new volcano 9 for $13 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=42001

THat'll bring the total over $600, but they're all great parts. Just wondering, how old are you yawgmoth? Have you considered getting a job? Also, do you have anything you can sell? Just some suggestions. : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

I don't need the HDD or DVD-ROM\CD-RW, but I might get the HDD after everything else. My 80 GB Maxtor should be good enough for now. As for the RAM, fine. *concedes* The mobo and the heatsink look good (actually the mobo specs link seems to be broken), but I still need fans and possibly cords (I'll see if I can't get some cords from a few friends). As for age, I'm 15 (in the profile...), so I might be able to get a job this summer (too much going on for weekend job now). But I would prefer to get this before summer. It really depends on when my friend can get some more money. I don't need an OS, I have XP Pro and the XP Home that came with this, which my friend gets.

The last RAM suggested was dual 256 sold together (for dual channel, which is nice), not 512. That's the problem, if I want more RAM later it's gone. I'll go with less RAM for now, but so far it can't be any of the suggested.
    By the time you need more than 512 meg, you should be building another computer. Don't sweat it.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    As for the RAM, fine. *concedes*
    One minute after I posted you replied.:laugh:

Heh... :)
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    I have XP Pro and the XP Home that came with this, which my friend gets.
    So does that mean you have XP Pro installed now?

I think it gets kind of tricky uninstalled Windows from one comp and moving it to another. Can people who have done this give us all a little heads up?
    If the stuff in glow sticks is truly toxic then why do they make so many flavors?

For a vid card you may want too consider the ATI Radeon 9000 128-Mb of RAM it can be had for about ~ USD and would give you decent proformance.
    The r9000 cards are nothing like r9000pro. They are just like the 9200(basically the same card with 8x agp). A bulk one will almost for sure be 64bit(similar to r9200se). Very bad choice for gaming(or anything else for that matter). They get hot and studder sometimes. They don't like ocing. Especially the one in the link. Just an all around super low budget card meant for oem use.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Well, any 80GB maxtor will be 7200RPM with at least a 2MB cache, and those drives are fine for gaming and what not, so scratch what I said, you dont need a new one.

Yah, the link is messed up, go to the review to get the specs or go to shuttle's site, its all good stuff on that board :thumb:.

I added up all the parts including the heatsink and it still comes out to $507 :thumb:. At xoxide.com its $5 for a 24" IDE cable and $4 for a floppy cable. Dont spend $15 on a vantec one, theres no difference; I use the xoxide ones and they're good. If you go along with the case I linked to, you only have to buy one more fan (it does come with one in the back), a 120mm, this is an Evercool 120mm for $10, it pushes 85CFM at only 31dB, no bad at all. You'll also want to pick up some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound for your CPU, as the crap AMD gives you just isnt good for overclocking.

So, your total is gonna be a ~$533. That includes everything you'll need for your new comp. Once you get it, this thing can easily overclock to 200x11, giving you a 2.2GHz CPU on a 400FSB (as opposed to a 1.83 on a 333FSB). Then of course you'll also have an ATI 9700Pro :D . Very sweet system for $530 IMHO. : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information