Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new mobo or upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by stainXzero
    my mobo doesn't support AGP 8x
    AGP 8x doesn't matter all 8x cards will also run at 4x and you really don't loose anything. At most 5-10%, but probably not even that.

For the rest of your question I'll leave that for someone more knowledgeable than I to answer.
    If the stuff in glow sticks is truly toxic then why do they make so many flavors?

Beefy Guest

Couple options for upgrading existing PC:

- If you upgrade video, then all you're really doing is improving gaming performance.

- If you upgrade mobo, then things in general should run a bit smoother, your DVD burner problem might go away, and you'll get some new features.

- If you upgrade RAM, then you'll get a slight performance increase in memory intensive applications / games.

Personally, I'd go for two in one. Grab an nForce 2 board with onboard video. It's only a GF4MX, but it'll be an improvement on what you've got, plus with the options of Firewire, 6.1ch sound, SATA, RAID, onboard LAN (and perhaps others), you'll have more things to play with. The board will support future CPU upgrades (as long as you're not looking for Athlon 64 in the near future) as well as the ability to get a real video card if you ever want one.

What I'd also do is sell off the P4 you got lying around and either upgrade your CPU, or grab another stick of RAM. ;)

what sort of mobo does both beefy?

i'll probably rule out the p4 mobo coz that's going to cost me the most...

so if i do get upgrade, it'll be the ABIT NF7-S v2.0 or the powercolor radeon 9600 pro....

thoughts on those 2 things?
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/fatdee/siggy.jpg

Athlon 2100XP+ @ 1.73 GHz
    Abit KX7-333
    Vantec Aeroflow
    512mb Kingston PC2100
    80 GB Seagate + 80 GB Maxtor
    Pioneer DVR-107D Burner
    Leadtek Geforce 2 MX400
    Antec PlusView 1000AMG

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stainXzero
    what sort of mobo does both beefy?
    Any nForce2 board with onboard video. :) I've recently purchased a couple <a href="http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/product_detail.asp?model=K7N2G-L" target="_blank">MSI K7N2G-L</a> motherboards (linked to the fully-featured one, I got the basic one). I got these for about $160 AUD each.

The products you mentioned are both reasonably good. The Abit mobo is great, and highly recommended. I'm not really a fan of the 9600 Radeons, but they are still a good card, and much better than what you got. IF you can still find one, I highly recommend a 9700 Pro.

oh ok, mmm.. say i can sell my p4 chip say for around $200... should i get better ram (pc3200 twinx corsair $200) or a new graphics card?
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/fatdee/siggy.jpg

Athlon 2100XP+ @ 1.73 GHz
    Abit KX7-333
    Vantec Aeroflow
    512mb Kingston PC2100
    80 GB Seagate + 80 GB Maxtor
    Pioneer DVR-107D Burner
    Leadtek Geforce 2 MX400
    Antec PlusView 1000AMG

Beefy Guest

I'd go video card myself

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12