Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New Motherboard + processor speed?

Also trying to research into what system I wanna build. Think prob getting an AMD 2600 or higher. Don't wanna spend too much (not tried overclocking either so not sure if I would go down that route as yet). Any suggestions what speed processor to go for?
    and been interested in the Asus motherboards. How is this one:
    http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/sock...d/overview.htm
    or
    http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/sock...x/overview.htm
    Also which one would be better according to the any suggested processor speeds above?
    Thanks for the help
    Eye See You..........

The first one has dual channel memory support. Thats about the major difference. As far as cpu, if this was something I was building, I would get an unlocked xp2500 to go with it as it can most likely run @xp3200 speeds without too much trouble. Cpu cooling would be thermaltake volcano7+(best choice for cheap) or dragonorb3 7000rpm(half the price nowadays, if the customer could stand the hairdrier noise).(the missus yells at me everyday for this, good thing it's so loud I can barely hear her)lol

Don't forget, your current psu will probably pop like popcorn within minutes so get a good 400w+ one, not some cheapo.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Well, we just went through this, if you're going to build a new system, build something alot like the one we did in this thread http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...threadid=17135

I still cannot build a better bang-for-your-buck system. : peace2: Mista K6.

P.S. Only thing, if you have the cash, ya might want to upgrade to a Abit NF7 mobo.
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

thanks.
    maximus - not overclocked before but why would it be better to oc a 2500 as opposed to a 2600 or a 2800? or is it just that we get similar speeds in the end and a 2500 is just cheaper?+ is it better to get a barton or a TB?
    and yes I probably am looking to change everything and build a new pc from scratch - the only things i may salvage from my old system are my 52x CDRW and my DVD rom, maybe even my 80GB HD but not sure yet.
    Mista K6 - am strapped for cash (hence plodding along with my old system @present) plus need to get a car at the same time as well (unless at my job interview tomorrow I can persuade them to throw in a company car). :laugh:
    thanks for all ur help
    Eye See You..........

yes it is better to get a Barton core rather than the TB, but i would go for the 2500+, even overclocked a little to say a 2700+ or something would save you that little bit of cash.
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

exactly, cheaper parts let you save money and they can easily o/c to the speed of much more expensive parts. Barton's are better because they have double the L2 cache of the TB's (above other things I think :?:).

If you are strapped for cash then that is a very good set up, it should be able to run anything you throw at it. for $500, its a steal, look at the crap you get from Dell etc. for $500. If you can save parts from your old PC, all the better. In that thread yawgmoth was using his old HDD and optical drives, so if you do too, you'll stay around the $500 price. : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

yes I had looked at dell systems in past but would rather build a pc to my requirements than buy a ready made one like this one at present. at least with my own build one I know what parts I am using. But yeah hope to salvage some things from this one. But definitely will need new mobo, processor, gpx card, memory, psu.who knows if got money left over then can get other things as well but lets start with basics first.
    thanks 4 ur help
    Eye See You..........

Thread Information