Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cut to the Video Card Chase

I've been reading the posts on video cards and am now thoroughly confused. Maybe I'm just a simp. :)

Can anyone tell me, in plain old English, what the best 2 or 3 video cards are? I've got a P3 1.8 system and 640RAM. I currently have a GEForce 4400 that I like, but I have some extra cash to upgrade. I'll be buying/making a new system in a couple of months, and will plug in this new card.

I'd like to find the Radeon or NVidia card that will handle my UT and UT2K4 games with best performance in those grudge matches! ;)

Thanks in advance!
    I just ate two dozen Krispy Kremes, and I feel fine.

well the top contenders [for now] are the 9800xt (ati) and 5950ulta (nvidia) but your cpu and most definately your lack of RAM will be a major bottle neck in gaming, no matter what graphics card you get. Honestly, for now i think you would be better off keeping your 4400 and upgrading your mobo/cpu/ram (which will cost you about the same as a high end GPU)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Thanks! I'll file these cards away for future reference and will stick one in when I get the new machine up and running.

I'm trying to focus on the best processor for the money (don't want to spend more than $300) and am torn between all the options out there....Pentium....AMD....3200......64.....XP.... .3.2.....2.8....AAARGH! :shock:

So when I finally figure it out, it will all be obsolete! ;)

I am a little out of the loop here, so my answer may not be entirely correct but here is what i think.

Since $300 is the roof of your budget, i would guess that a p4 (800mhz bus) is the bomb right now. The best of that line (exluding the extreme edition which runs i think $900), right now is clocked at 3.2 ghz and runs on pricewatch about $280. THat is your best deal for the money.

Now maybe if you want to you can save some $ and buy a lower clocked proc. and than oc it up to the 3.2 range. This would give you some room to buy some higher graded components to go with it.

Whatever you do, don't sink all your cash into the proc. and than skimp on the rest, espeically the mobo. Believe me you will not be happy.

Anyways good luck and i hope this tidbit has been helpful.

8)
    what signature?

I recommend a 2.4c, since it can reach 3.4 on air cooling with some decent ram.
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Quote Originally Posted by AsianBatman
    I recommend a 2.4c, since it can reach 3.4 on air cooling with some decent ram.
    That's not always true, altough I'm yet to see one that can't reach 3.0Ghz

You guys rock!

Thanks for the info, and yes, it does help ;)

At the risk of being considered a N00b, might it not be a good time to leave (here) all of the VERY BASIC words of wisdom regarding mobos and processors? :O

I'm sure this has been beat to death here, but after more research, after posting my original thread, I'm even more confused as to which to buy. I'm not really in to OCing, but would give it a shot. I want to run "significantly" better than my un-OCd 1.8 and don't want to have to monkey around with too many fans or tweaks, but am certainly willing to try diff s*&t. I don't want to spend more than 1000 Gs on a new system but need to know your opinions on the best mobo/chipet/RAM combo.

Anyway, thanks for the insight, and please feel free to be wordy in any responses/insight you might have for a first-timer ;)

THANKS

PANTS

If ya are lookin' to upgrade to a good starter OC'ing system I'd get an Abit IC7-G as the overclocking options are much simpler on that board than on the Asus mobos, although the Asus's tend to allow higher major OC's I imagine you won't be going for the maximum overclock.

So this is what I'd say
    Abit IC7-G
    P4 2.4c
    Twin 256mb PC3500 Cas2
    Then a case with decent airflow and a good 400W or so PSU, then I'd just use ya current hard drive and such in the new system. You could also pop a new graphics card in that thing and you'd have on helluva machine

Quote Originally Posted by Pants
    I've been reading the posts on video cards and am now thoroughly confused. Maybe I'm just a simp. :)

Can anyone tell me, in plain old English, what the best 2 or 3 video cards are? I've got a P3 1.8 system and 640RAM. I currently have a GEForce 4400 that I like, but I have some extra cash to upgrade. I'll be buying/making a new system in a couple of months, and will plug in this new card.

I'd like to find the Radeon or NVidia card that will handle my UT and UT2K4 games with best performance in those grudge matches! ;)
    Yep there's nothin' really wrong with that video card and that game but ya CPU, memory (I take it that its SDRAM) and the mobo is what's really holdin' ya back.

Yes....SDRAM. Never thought of the mobo holding me back, except that it's where the processor sits. Never really thought of the mobo as anything important, just always thought it has to be the right size, right number of ports, etc.

Now I know to spend some time trying to find the right one. Thanks for the tip.

I'm going to go with at least 1mg of RAM, too.

THANKS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information