Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: motherboard

What do youy mena if its a ceratin amount? And also which on eout of the ones that you listed do you think I would be able to get the most out of it when upgrading everything else like the ram, processor, video card, hard drive as I need to upgrade just about everything etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Before we start suggesting anything, budget would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by KoolDrew
    Itsa from like 95 and its got like 128mb ram so im gonna have to upgrade evrything but I need to start with the motherboard becuase trhat is what will determine how much ram I can have, but I will then upgrade the processor (I was thinking AMD), then ram, hd and the graphics card (maybe radion)
    You'll need to build a whole new setup as the case likely won't have the required airflow that modern systems now require and the PSU itself wouldn't likely handle the load either.

Quote Originally Posted by KoolDrew
    What do youy mena if its a ceratin amount? And also which on eout of the ones that you listed do you think I would be able to get the most out of it when upgrading everything else like the ram, processor, video card, hard drive as I need to upgrade just about everything etc.
    Yeah...if it's from 95 or even running Windows 95, it's too old to be worth any upgrade to it.

For a new system...like how much money do you have to work with? If you have only $700, we'd suggest a less lavish setup than if you have $2000. Also, what do you plan to do with this comp? There's no sense in buying a Radeon 9800XT if you're gonna just surf the web and play solitare.

I am going to use the computer for mostly gaming, but alot of other things too. And for the budget dont worry about the budget just not too hihg like oraound 2000. Thats way too high for me, but 700 or more might be good. Im still saving up though. and Ill probqaly just build a whole new compueter because it is quite old to be upgrading but I dont know everything I need because Im not so good with hardware stuff. Could someone maybe give me a really good list of every part I will need and give me good parts. Like I said I am going to use it mostly for gaming

This is everything I think I need. Im not sure if i need more as I have never built a computer and am not very good with hardware.

1. PC Case (maybe 1 with a window on the side so I can add some lights in it, but if you find a betetr one wihtout a window then tell me to get that 1 instead)
    2. Motherboard
    3. AMD Processor (and fan)
    4. 1 gb of ram
    5. 120 gb hard drive (Thats just for now I will get a second hard drive later the same size)
    6. ATI Radeon 9800XT Video Card
    7. CD/CD-RW/DVD/DVD-RW
    8. Floppy Drive
    9. Flat screen monitor
    10. Cordless Keyboard
    11. Mouse without a ball and cordless (regular ones are really annoying when playing games)
    12. Network Card (I have a cable modem so I need it)
    13. Router (I am going to hook 2 computers up to it and my Xbox)
    14. Sound Card (someone told me the new turtle beach ones were good, not sure though)
    15. Speakers (regular speakers, i might get better ones later though)
    16. Power Supply

Thats evrything I think I need to build my computer. If I need anything else or you think I should have it then put it in there. When you give me the list can you also give me some good sites with cheap prices where I can buy this stuff. Also if I need some more cooling or any sort of products add it in there. For the fans I want extremely quit fans, but still really powerful. Just ones that are pretty quit but will cool my computer enough so I will not run into any problems. Same thing with the hard drives/CD drives etc. I want good ones but still pretty quit

There we go... :twisted:

I'll try to budget this in the $800-$1200 U.S. price range....
    (I'm actually kind of ignoring parts of your list, more on that later...)
    Click them, they're links...
    A64 3200
    Muskin Dual channel CAS 2 512MB PC3200
    ASPIRE Turbo Case Blue with 420W PSU and 6 x 80mm fans
    ZALMAN CNPS7000A-Cu Pure Copper CPU Cooler
    Western Digital 36.7GB (40GB, long story) 10000RPM 8MB cache SATA drive
    SOLTEK nForce3 150 motherboard
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    Total = $989.78 U.S. + shipping
    For huge performance increases (just wait, almost to the other stuff), get these:
    Mushkin Dual Channel 1GB PC3500 CAS 2
    Western Digital 74GB (80GB) 10000RPM 8MB cache SATA drive
    Replacing the other HDD and the other RAM with those:
    Total = $1217.78
    An alternative to going with the more expensive hardware would be to wait and just buy a duplicate of the other HDD and the other RAM (for not too much more while providing basically the same performance as with the more expensive hardware),

As for your other stuff...
    You don't want a 9800XT right now I would think. They work just fine, but a 9800 Pro for much less is very, very good and is easily upgraded, wheras other hardware may be more expensive to upgrade.
    If you really need 120GB of space, find a nice 120GB SATA drive. Lets see... 7200RPM, 8MB cache should be good (not much choice, actually). But those Raptors will perform so much better. Yuo could also just go for a normal (IDE) drive for much less. At least get a 40GB Raptor for OS and games. The 120GB should be for files and applications that don't need high performance (I doubt you'll use up 36GB in games anyway).
    Sound, network, power, case processor, motherboard, HDD, RAM are dealt with.
    For floppy drive, speakers, montor, keyboard, mouse I would stronly suggest you use whatever you have now or, if you still need something for your current comp, get something really cheap. Also get an optical mouse if you don't have one. Wait later for an expensive monitor if you really want one and money is an issue.
    Same applies to the drive. If you have a decent CD drive and want another one (or DVD/CD writer), wait for monetary purposes. If you don't want to wait:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...pa=0&section=1
    I won't trust myself to find a monitor for you.
    Go for a floppy drive under $20. No reason to spend much on one. Hell, you don't really need one all that much. They are only more convenient than CDs, other than that, some people don't use them at all anymore...
    For routers....
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...127-002&depa=0
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...164-115&depa=0
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...124-001&depa=0

Three included just in case you really care about the votes. The cheap one looks great for its price.
    Any old cat5 ethernet cables should be fine with your router...
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...117-905&depa=0
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...117-906&depa=0
    You'll also want some Arctic Silver thermal compound. Search around (try Newegg or other sites). See if you can find Arctic Silver 5 for under $5.

I wouldn't get an nForce3 150 based mainboard as they're very poor performers. Either get one based on the KT800 chipset (Asus K8V Deluxe) or wait until the just released nForce3 250 chipset based mainboards become available.

k Thanks alot that was a big help. Now all I need is

1. LCD Montior (at least 17")
    2. Keyboard (cordless)
    3. Mouse (optical)
    4. Network Card (I think I need this but not sure)
    5. Sound Card
    6. Speakers (The speakers I haev from the old one are built into the monitor and I hate the montior so I want some speakers liek regular ones, if you know what I mean)

Also since I have never built a computere before please tell me anything else I may need. Thanks alot.

I don't know how you define "very poor," but they certainly aren't...

However, the K8V deluxe has come out ahead a bit in most benchmarks I have seen, so I'll go grab some good choices...
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-490&depa=0
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...137-042&depa=0
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-490&depa=0

KoolDrew, I already told you....

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Sound, network, power, case processor, motherboard, HDD, RAM are dealt with.
    You don't need sound card or network card anymore. They are on-board. You could always get a seperate sound card, but that would be somewhat unneccesary. At least it is if your on any sort of a budget, in my opinion.

For mouse, speaker, monitor, and keyboard, just search www.newegg.com or another site of your choosing and post what you want. With the excpetion of the monitor, the other components are cheap enough that you needn't worry about them too much.

Edit: one thing I almost forgot...
    You might want a more powerful PSU. If you decided to get all that extra expensive stuff that also takes up power, you might put too much stress on the thing that comes in that case. Maybe this:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-909&depa=0
    Or, if you plan on having a lot of devices or later upgrading to a 9800XT or PCI express video card:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-910&depa=0

That's not for sure, though. A 420W can handle quite a bit, but the quality of the PSU also comes into play. If you have any power problems after getting and assembling everything, get one of those.

I am going to buy another power supply but do you think this one is bgetter

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ab=11&NoMapp=0

Also I am a little confused on the motherboards. You gave me a couple choices but I really dont know what I need. I just want the best poerformance from my computer that I can get wiht my budget so what one would be best for later upgrading and overall perfomrance. One of my freinds told em the nForce3 250 would be good, but im not sure and if thats waht I want when will it be out? and could you tell me about how much that motherboard would cost?

Also could somone give me a good DVD burner and a good CD burner because the one that was suggested I dont like because I dont want a combo. I want a DVD burner and a CD burner.

And do you know a good hub I can get instead of a router?

I also want a Cat 6 ethernet cable and dont I need two becauase you need to hook the cabler modem up to the hub then run the second one into my computer? Also a freind told me I should get another network card (a better one then the on board one) for slightly better internet speed. Do you guys know a good one? And i still need someone to suggest a good LCD monitor (I am going to use my old one for a while though, same with speakers cuz the speakers are built into the monitor). Then I need someone to give me a link to a good mouse and keyboard because I searched myself and theres all different types and I dont know what would be best or even what they are. Also for the mouse and keyboard I do not want them to be cordless, for the keyboard I want one with all the cool buttons at the top for volume, internet, email etc. Also I am going to buy surround sound speakers. Can somoen give me a link to some good ones that are not too expensive?

Also I dont get what that Arctic Silver stuff is. What does it do and waht do I need it for?

Also will the on board sound card support surround sound?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information