Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: What Switch should I get??

Hi All,

My old 10/100 8 port hub kicked the bucket tonight. I'm thinking I should get a 19" rack mountable 16 port 10/100 switch, but am not up with it on which one I should get. Any suggestions?

CWS has an 8 port gigabit switch fo about $640! I might get that!

Seriously, I'm thinking about getting either a Linksys EF2S16 or Netgear FS516 16-port 19" rackmount. Anyone know how good/bad either of these switches are? The Linksys is nearly $200 cheaper, so that's a big plus in it's favour.

Sorry all the switches I've used are 3Com :D

Beefy Guest

not sure about the linksys, but the Netgear is a perfectly capable switch.

I just got offered a Cisco Catalyst 2924M for $2000 (they retail for about $6500). Should I go for it?

i have a netgear 24 port switch and it runs sweet. its been used for the last 2 MorB lans and all the hamilton lans.
    My work sells netgear ones and with all the ones we have sold only had 1 die, it was a DOA and it was replaceed immediatly. so i havent really got anything bad to say about netgear.

netgear = good stuff :)

i gots a 5 port switch and a 4 port router and both are working great :)

No one has an opinion on the Catalyst?

Our college just upgraded to Catalyst's, and I must say I never felt they were anything less than top notch. I have faith in Linksys's latest switches... I do not like Linksys network cards at all, but I like the look of the linksys switches, and how their other periferals (like their WAP) match and stack on top of each other.

Netgear is top notch as well... Their network cards rule.

Thread Information