Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: AMD 64 3000 or 3200




  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,525

    Default

    In fact it shouldn't be hard for AMD to disable the 64-bit extentions on die but if he were to want to upgrade again say at the end of next year, then he'll either have to hunt down a 2nd hand 64-bit CPU or go with the 32-bit version or get a new socket 939 mainboard.

    BTW Yawgm0th are your brains in your ass or do you just like to be a dickhead on purpose?

    Josh M. just wait untill the socket 939 mainboards are out is my suggestion to you.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Depends on what you want to do with the system and how long until you plan on upgrading.

    That said when the new Athlon 64s come out this summer the price of the older ones should come down...which may make it worth the wait if you are on a budget.

    If you don't plan on upgrading for a while you should be ok with a 3000 or 3200, by the time you want a new processor you'd get a new motherboard with PCI Express anyway.

    Then again if you wait until PCI Express motherboards hopefully come out at a reasonable time/price this summer you could hold off needing to get a new motherboard for even longer, but you'd need to buy a newer Athlon 64 which would be more expensive.

    As I said, mostly depends on if you plan on using the system for gaming, dealing with video and other operations where the processor makes a big difference (although with gaming the video card is becoming what makes the difference at higher resolutions), or if you just want it for general use, and can live without a little bit better performance.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    4,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wayout44
    BTW Yawgm0th are your brains in your ass or do you just like to be a dickhead on purpose?
    At least I have brains....
    I'm not being a dickhead. If you're going to go around referring Athlon XPs to as Athlon 64s (even if AMD just disabled 64-bit on them, which wouldn't suprise me, but for all I know that's just made up), then don't expect people to ignore you and let you spread erroneous information.

    [quote=wayout44]In fact it shouldn't be hard for AMD to disable the 64-bit extentions on die but if he were to want to upgrade again say at the end of next year, then he'll either have to hunt down a 2nd hand 64-bit CPU or go with the 32-bit version or get a new socket 939 mainboard.

    Is that a fact? Every single Athlon 64 higher than 3200 for socket 754 will be sold out? That sure does make sense... Except they'll probably just be cheaper since most would rather have the socket 939 ones. Even if AMD stops making them...
    Of course, if someone has an Athlon 64 that he/she is going to upgrade by the end of this year, which is another way of saying replace, then good for hom/her for being stupid. If that person is willing to throw away $200+, then he/she would probably be willing to just buy a new motherboard... Hell, you can get good ones for under $100, and great ones for under $150. It makes sense to wait for upgrade purposes, but if someone is planning on upgrading an A64 within a year of purchase, then it's just stupid...
    Quote Originally Posted by wayout44
    Josh M. just wait untill the socket 939 mainboards are out is my suggestion to you.
    I'll agree with that. A 3200 would still be a good investment, it's just that the motherboard won't have a lot of upgrade options. A new socket 939 motherboard and processor are the best for future, but there's no other reason not to buy now. If you're really impatient, then there's no problem. It just means another $100 or so spent on a new motherboard next time you want to upgrade, which just wouldn't be prudent before 64 FXs get cheaper or regular A 64s get better, anyway.
    My advice: For long-term thinking, wait. If you want the computer right now and don't want to end up waiting a while (could be months, it's never a sure thing), just get the damn thing. You won't burn and die if any major performance increase processor-wise requires a new motherboard.
    :2cents:

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Thank you sirs! I appreciate your advice, and will certainly take your guys' arguments into consideration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •