Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a new PC - spec advice wanted please!

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-490&depa=0
    If it were from an Australian place, it would be less than $200 AU after shipping.
    You realize that motherboard of yours comes with on-board WiFi, right? That explains the price increase, but did you need it?
    Doesn't matter though....
    Quote Originally Posted by shanboi
    Yep i think we are going with a 400W PSU, not the 300 i listed there. Not sure exactly which one yet though
    Let me try to put it another way:
    You can't possibly power anything that's going to play newer games with a 300W power supply. For an Athlon 64 system, you need at least 400W. More might even be neccessary. It's good that you appear to be thinking about a 400W PSU, but it shouldn't even be something you consider an option. Ideally, you will have a power supply over 400 Watts. Here are a few cases available from Newegg that you could look for, with included PSUs:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...156-135&depa=0
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...144-019&depa=0
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...144-018&depa=0
    Those are nice cases, with nice cooling and a good amount of power. The cheaper one is there in case you get cheap. However, having 6 fans included with the case will be really nice for cooling.
    Of course, you could get a PSU separate. If you (or your friend) can find a nice 400W (or better) PSU and a case without one (preferably with several fans included, though), that would be good.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanboi
    HDD is IBM, 7200 RPM. not sure what the cache is. Thats not the spare drive in this comp, thats just a spare drive. This one could be better or worse, il check when i do the change

Wheres chache size written? whats the abbreviation for cache on the HDD. saw **** like CHS etc
    I don't remember, but I imagine it's 2MB. You could check IBMs web site, or there might be some program (can't think of any off the top of my head). Chances are it's 2MB. It should be good enough, for now. However, when you can afford it, either of those 10000 RPM SATA drives would be ideal for games, other applications, and your operating system. The IBM drive would be great for file storage.

SEEK TIME (MS): 8.5ms
    CACHE: 2MB
    RPM: 7200 RPM
    SIZE (GB): 40 GB
    INTERFACE TYPE: ATA/100
    CONNECTOR PIN: 40 pin / 80 wire IDE
    Idle noise output: 3.0 Bels

Thats for the IBM drive i have spare. I dont know what the drive in my PC is exactly, im guessing newer than that one.. il see when i pull apart this comp to swap over comps. No biggy

As for the case - i plan on sticking with an aussie supplier. I want to get this done sooner rather than later. I will be goin with a 400watt psu and il be gettin a mid range case, pretty stock standard but decent namebrand parts.

Again - cheers for the advice - keep it comin!

Sounds good...
    You can use that HDD. It's not bad. Later on, as I said, you'll want that SATA as your programs/OS drive and the spare for files.

Other than that you should be good...
    9600XT
    A64 3200
    HSF
    PC3500 CAS2 512MB or 1GB (dual channel, make sure it's two identical sticks pacakged together)

I hope you like graphic, demanding games...
    :mrgreen:

hehe, thats not my system tho! thats a lil better

Mines gonna be

9600XT
    A64 3000
    PC3200 512 or 1GB RAM depending on how much my mate saves me when it actually all goes thru

should run most **** pretty well yeah?

Don't get a 3000. Spend the extra to get the 3200.
    Just make sure you get dual channel RAM. PC3200 or PC3500 work, but you'll have a huge performance drop if you don't take advantage of dual channel. You do need a heat sink/fan for your CPU.... You're also going to need a thermal compound for the CPU, such as arctic silver.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information