Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer System

The benchmarks they perform aren't really a great way to determine what's best for gamers.

http://www.hardavenue.com/reviews/wdraptor1.shtml
    http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/raptor/index.htm

But if you really want to be certain, the 74 GB Raptor has had much better results. The 36.7 GB version's problem is that it's so small. It's hard to explain (and I might not do it accurately), but bigger drives are actually faster than smaller drives of the same RPM and cache. But the 74GB Raptor is something to consider as an alternative to dual 36.7GB Raptors in RAID.
    Here's a more positive review of the 74GB drive:
    WD 74GB Raptor review
    As for the drive:
    10000RPM 8MB cache Western Digital 74GB SATA drive

Quote Originally Posted by ath50
    So I've done a little research and it looks like lots of great new stuff (that would not potentially need to be upgraded for a while) is supposedly coming out this summer.

I'm thinking of buying a new system (mostly for gaming) and was wondering if you had any insight on a few parts..

Processor - AMD64, not sure which one, 3200+ and 3400+ are already out (and prices might lower), but I read the 3700+ and more might be coming out this summer, as well as the new socket 939. Time and prices will tell which one I will choose, but the AMD64 seems to be a solid bet for now...
    The 3700+ is spose to be the highest available CPU for socket 754 mainboards before they shift to 32-bit low end CPU's so wait for the socket 939 mainboards which should be around in June.

OS - Windows XP 64-bit should/might come out in the summer...whether or not its worth it to get? Depends on drivers and all of that?
    Once XP64 is out drivers for it will mature very quickly

PCI-Express Motherboard - Would prefer to get a PCI-Express motherboard so that I wouldn't need to upgrade in the near future. Are these supposed to be available in good quantities over the summer?
    No one can really say about the time line on these but many bet that they won't be prevalent until later in the year or early next.

Videocard- would like to get a native PCI-Express card, whether its nvidia or ati will depend on comparisons between the two once ati releases its new card...
    See above.

Biggest concern is about the PCI-Motherboards, want to have it, but would rather not wait until the fall :) Thanks a lot
    The nForce3 250 which has just been released would be the best one to get.

Another thing to consider is that Windows 2K will not be able to support a few new functions that the Athlon64 will have to offer but XP will.

Thanks for the added insight wayout

Actually I just checked the anandtech.com review area again and found another review they made a week later with updated firmware and such and the results were much better.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=1799

But the fact that its loud doesn't appeal to me too much.

Yeah, I did forget to mention the bit about the socket 939. Definetely a better investment if you're willing to wait.

The TweakTown review says the 74GB is quiet, so get that if you really hate noise (not that the 36.7GB is guaranteed to be unbearably loud).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information