Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First system for under 1k AUD

I'm building a new non-overclocked PC for 400 GBP. At the current exchange rate, this is about 1k AUD. It wil be used for web surfing and word processing and also light gaming when I get some spare time. My budget does not include the monitor or a mouse and keyboard.

I'm thinking about the following setup:

Asus A7N8X-X
    AMD Athlon XP 2600 with Barton Core
    Asus ATi Radeon 9600SE

Maxtor 80 GB DiamondMax Hard Disc with 8MB Cache
    Sony 3.5" Floppy Disc Drive
    Sony Combi DVD-ROM/CD-RW

My system will then be packed into a RaidMax Cobra case, as it looks nice and comes with a 450 Watt PSU.

I'm just stuck on choosing the RAM. I want 512MB of DDR400/PC3200 RAM and was going to get this product. However, after reading this review, I'm having doubts about the quality of this RAM. Has anyone used this type of RAM and confirm that it's ok, or should I buy something else.
    If so, what brands would you recommend?

I came up with a shopping list and want your opinions please.

Gigabyte 7s748 mob $75
    AMD 2500xp $125
    case $75
    256 generic ram $65
    seagate 80gb $108

all up $448. what do you guy think? missing any essential? I already have a monitor keyboard modem etc.

AMD processors are great for their price, and perform well.
    Seagate make good hard discs.
    256MB of RAM sounds a bit light, but you can always upgrade, as the mobo has 3 slots for RAM. Windows XP recommends 128MB, so no problems there.

The 7S748 is a SiS based value mainboard (read cheap and usually nasty) and most people would know to stay well away from them so be warned that they arn't that great and can be very problematic.

Some retailers sell budget box's, such as this,

Budget DIY System, AMD XP2200 $450.00.

http://www.doicoaustralia.com/shop/p...roducts_id=372

or if you wanted a complete budget system,

Black Budget System, AMD XP2400 $700.00

http://www.doicoaustralia.com/shop/p...roducts_id=606

Cheers,

At the last minute I changed my mind and went for the gigabyte 7N400-L
    it had more options and nforce2 chipset ddr blah blah.
    so I think I will get 1 stick of 512 ddr ram for 130 instead and the rest will stay the same.
    so now I am looking around 550 aud.
    Someone told me that the AMD2500 xp was locked and cant be overclocked. is this true? caus I thought I could clock this chip to 3200.

OK, if your going to go with the nForce2 boards you have really only 2 options, the Abit NF7- series or Soltek SL-75FRN2- series, both have proven themselves to be really stable, and when / if you decide to overclock they don't have as many issues fitting an aftermarket HSF.

I personally feel that there are only a few simple rules for picking components for a budget system. The quality of the mb, ram, and psu should be good as these are usually "keeper" parts. Everything else is more or less disposable when you want to upgrade. Think hard about the features offered on the mb. Get what you might want or need down the road now. Even budget vid cards are suitable for casual gaming these days. Same with "low end" cpus. As an example, my backup machine is cobbled together from cast off stuff: Athlon900 200mz fsb, 512 pc133, Iwill kv200R mb, and Radeon 9000 128mb. It plays such titles as: QuakeIII, Call of Duty, Painkiller, etc.. Even the low end stuff these days is pretty powerful. Back in the old days of 386s and 486s, every little increment seemed to be a big jump. That no longer seems to be true.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information