Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First system for under 1k AUD

Hi All

I am interested in building my first PC for under 1k and I am just so confused by all the options out there and would like some ideas on what I should get.
    Should it be AMD or pentium? etc
    I would like to use it as a work/games PC with the option of upgrading it as more funds become available.
    We could leave out the expensive gaming stuff untill I have the basics setup and add them later if that works out better.

Thanks in advance

You'll be looking at an Athlon XP somewhere between 2600 and 3000; a nice expensive motherboard with built-in SATA, Gigabit Ethernet, Nforce 2 Ultra 400 chipset, AGP 8X, dual channel capabilites, etc.; a couple sticks of identical PC3200 CAS 2 RAM; a Radeon 9600XT, 9700Pro, or 9800Pro; a seperate heat sink for your processor (the retail one sucks); a case with a few fans or room for fans; a 400W quality, brand-name power supply (such as Antec); and a Maxtor or Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM SATA drive.

You should be able to get that for under $1000 AU, but if you want to make it better for gaming later, getting a crappy video card like a Radeon 9200SE or something for under $50 U.S. (under about $70 AU) and later upgrading to a more expensive video card (Radeon 9600XT, 9800Pro, 9800XT, X800 Pro, etc.) would let you get a better processor or maybe better hard drive before-hand. It's easier to upgrade from crappy, but usable graphics than it is to upgrade a processor or HDD. So getting a Western Digital 10000RPM 74GB Raptor and/or an Athlon XP 3200 instead of starting off with the expensive video card would be best if you're willing to wait and upgrade.

I might be wrong on the prices. I figure hardware is maybe 10% more expensive over there, but I could be wrong. I could get the originally listed stuff for around $500 -$600 U.S., which is close to your budget. You should definitely be able to if you wait for an expensive card.

I'd help you out more, but I don't really know what the good hardware places (web sites are probably your best bet) in Australia are. Unfortunetely, most of the knowledgable Aussies at these forums are gone...

harware is nearly 50% more expensive.

just get a midrange athlon xp(2800xp), a midrange board to go with it, a 9600XT(128mb cos 256 is no different) 120GB hdd westrn digtial, lanboy or antec 1080(best choice cos it has fans and PSU, both antec) if you dont need dvd burner, dont get one. just get a cd burner and a dvd drive... or maybe a combo drive but they are ****e. dont worry about a FDD, no one uses them. you may or may not need a modem so just get one.

that should be around the sub $1000 mark, around ~$950 depending on the case

also do you need monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers? that will be more

The systems that I build below $1000aus use all-in-one mainboards so for you to build something reasonable you should be looking at around $1200aus.

Just get a mainboard that doesnt have onboard video, its cheaper and if your playing games with the PC youll never use the onboard ****e.

AMD Athlon XP2500 $140
    Gigabyte 7N400-L mainboard $110
    2x 256Mb PC3200 Kingmax $170
    WD JB800 HDD $115
    Lite-On 52x32x52 CDRW $55
    Antec Sonata case w/ 350W PSU $190
    K/B & mouse $25
    Floppy drive $20
    17" monitor $180
    R9600SE $120

Total $1125
    Nothing there is fancy but it will give you some idea. Sure you can save some $'s going with some cheap $60 generic case with a low quality 300W PSU but I wouldn't recommend it as these are critical for a good system (an Antec 1080AMG w/ 430W PSU is about $215) plus you could save a bit with using PC2700 memory but sooner or later you'd likely want to see how far you could push it (XP3000-3200+ speeds arn't out of the question with this setup).

Thanks guys. I can now narrow down my choices and start picking up the bits at the next swap meet etc. :D

I wouldn't get a R9600SE for any reason... You can get cheaper budget cards that will work with many newer games just as well, that thing is pretty much useless for gaming.... Get something cheaper and upgrade later.
    Other than that, wayout44's suggestions look good.

dont get kingmax, get hyundai or hynix. They are cheaper and not that ****. If you can find a lanboy case, get it. It has a decent PSU (330W-350W) and its $40 less than the sonata. as for video, wait til the x800s are out here and then get 9600XT they will be about ~$200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information