Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best computer for under $1000usd?

I have a keyboard and mouse already, and I do not intend to overcloak. I appreciate the help so far, and am getting a good idea of what I need. Do you think it would be best to purchase everything off of newegg.com? Also aside from the hardware, I'll need winxp. Should I get home or professional? Also, all I will need is the upgrade edition.

I would sugegst buying it all from newegg as they ship pretty fast and you shouldn't have any problems. Theres not much difference between Pro and Home except for Pro has a few more utilities and functions, like the group editor. Also XP Pro has soiem more features for networks. So it doesnt matter what you get. If you get Home your not really missing out on anything. Whatever one you choose heres links to both:

Home
    Professional

Newegg is a great site. Unless you find something at another site that is cheaper than the exact same thing at Newegg, it's probably best to stick with Newegg.

You can look on your own at other places, but this is the cheapest XP Pro at Newegg:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-143&depa=0
    I would highly recommend it over Home, especially for gamers. However, if you get cheap this XP Home would be fine:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-141&depa=0
    It's an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version, so it's cheaper. OEM, if I'm not mistaken, means that you aren't supposed to install it on any computer except the one you initially put it on (or the one it comes one). However, I'm almost positive that you can if needed (I have done it before).

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    I would highly recommend it over Home, especially for gamers.
    How is it better for gamers? Just wondering because theres no real big difference between Home and Pro.

There's gpedit.msc, a bunch of networking options, EFS, muliprocessor support, a bunch of administrative option (gpedit.msc is one thing)....
    There's a lots of differences... But like I said, you can fucntion just fine with XP Home.

Okay, im looking on newegg.com, and have a processor question. They offer the athlon 64 2800+ w/ a 512mb cache and the athlon 3200 w/ a 1mb cache. They are about a hundred dollar difference. Does the cache make a big difference?
    I'm also looking at motherboads, and Ive been reccommended the Aopen Ak86-L, the ABIT KV8 Pro, and the MSI K8T Neo-Fsr. They are all around the same price range. Which would be preferable, if any?

None. Like I said, wait until June for socket-939 motherboards. The ones you're looking at should be socket 754. You have almost no upgrade options if you ordered now instead of waiting eight days (probably two weeks until motherboards and processors are on Newegg, though)
    For more information rgarding socket-939, read here:
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1985
    A quick Google search will show that motherboards and processors come out in June. The only thing I worry about is the price. It will probably cost near $500 just for the processor and motherboard. Hopefully, you will still be able to get everything for $1000 - $1100.

But to answer your question, the extra cache on the 3200 makes almost no difference from the 3000.

Nobody online sells hds and cd burners as cheap as the retail stores when they offer rebates.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information