Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best computer for under $1000usd?

I'm in the market for a new computer around the thousand dollar range. what should i get, please help

What do you want to do with it?

You are willing to build it youself, aren't you? That would be best, and it really isn't very hard.

But we do really need to know what you want to do with it. Gaming? Video encoding? Or is it just a normal desktop PC that will do next to know gaming and will be used mostly for web browsing and word processing?

I'm willing to build it myself, and it will be for gaming primarily.

No reason to post three times....

I suggest you wait a few weeks or so (last I hear was June 1) until socket 939 motherboards and processors to come out. They will allow you to have better upgrading capabilites than what you might be looking at now (socket 754). :2cents:

In the mean time...

Do you need absolutely everything? Mouse, monitor, hard drive, keyboard, operating system, cords, etc... Exactly what do you have that you would be willing to rip off of your current computer?

I apologize for posting 3 times. I didn't intend to, and have no idea why it did. I have a monitor and speakers. I'll be getting the case and everything that will go into it.

If you want to build now, and stay in budget, maybe something along these lines (prices from PriceWatch):
    $169 - Athlon 64 2800

Asus - - Asus K8V SE DELUXE TotalCost $116

Samsung 1GB PC-3200 DDR TRUE 400 RAM Dual Channel SPD Enhanced PC3200 DDR 1GB Low Density TotalCost $188

$371 - RADEON 9800 XT 256MB

Have seen 80gb 7200 8mb hds for $50 after rebate in the stores and cd burners for $5 & 10 (OfficeMax-rebranded Lite-ons) after rebate. Also Antec cases w/400w psu for $80 after rebate at Compusa.

hsf only thing that doesn't fit in the budget - you could choose a lesser mb or ram and fit the hsf too.

Edit:I see no hard drive in there.... And there's no way you can get a 9800XT without getting much worse on the rest of the system. Remember, it's easier to upgrade from a $200 Radeon 9800 Pro than it is to upgrade from an expensive processor. You will notice more performance increase per dollar from the upgrade, and the Radeon 9800 Pro can actually be used in any spare systems lying around.

Does that mean mouse and keyboard are needed?

To start, you will probably want this video card:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-268&depa=0
    Its at a very good price, and is still a really good card despite a few newer Radeons being out.

For RAM, I have hear that the new processors will support PC4000 (500MHz) RAM. So you will want this, most likely:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...144-314&depa=0
    Unless you iwant some extra overclocking potential, in which case this will do:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-937&depa=0
    Whatever RAM you get, take note of the exact model. You will eventually want to buy the same thing again to have 1GB of memory (and dual channel support if you get a single stick, like in the first link).

For power supply unit, you will want this or something of similar quality (at least 400w and a good brand name):
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-914&depa=0

For hard drive (assuming you need a new one), this or an equivelent from another manufacturer would be good:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...148-019&depa=0

Pretty much everything else will have to wait....
    Case and cooling are really going to depend on one thing: Whether or not you overclock (do a google search if you're unfamilar with overclocking).
    If you choose to overclock, you will want more fans, better airflow, and a better HSF. If you don't, you won't need to worry about these as much and will be able to save a bit on cooling.

Currently, the total will be somewhere around $550. You should be able to get a motherboard, processor, a CD drive (if necessary), a case and any miscellaneous things (cooling, cords, etc.) for under $500. I'm not entirely sure, though. It really depends on what socket-939 Athlon 64s and socket-939 motherboards will cost when they come out. Hopefully, you should be able to get everything for around your budget. However, I'm not entirely positive so I'd say it's beset to wait until June until actually exploring hardware any further. :2cents:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information