Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Building New Comp

So I have about 600 to 800 US dollers to spend on a new computer...maybe a little more than that. I dont need the basics such as monitor,keyboard,mouse,speakers, ect. Im not sure if I should get AMD or Intel...anyways any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

By the way it will mosty be used for gaming such as Star Wars Galaxies and Half Life 2.

You'll probably be looking at an Athlon XP-based system with a high-end video card, lots of RAM, and lots of cooling for overclocking. Before I go on, are you willing to overclock? Search Google if you are unfamilar with overclocking.

With that question answered, I can get into more specifics.

Yeah I plan to overclock.

Alright... Luckily, I had most of these saved for a computer I may build myself (click, they're links)...

GIGABYTE GA-7NNXP
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    Athlon XP 3000 (Barton 333FSB)
    ASPIRE X-Dreamer II
    Arctic Silver 5
    Thermaltake Volcano 12
    80 mm case fan
    Corsair XMS CAS 2 512MB PC3200
    Maxtor 80GB SATA drive

Eventually you can get another stick of the same RAM (get the exact same thing) for dual channel. If you already have an IDE 7200RPM drive, the SATA can wait. It will be incredibly fast, but the extra RAM should help more, especially in games. Plus, it's already over your budget...

The total is slightly more than your budget. I could find a cheaper case, but it would most likely have worse inferior airflow and limit your overclocking a bit more. You could also go for a cheaper heat sink and a cheaper processor:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-376&depa=0
    http://www.xpcgear.com/ttvolcanoa1671.html

Thread Information