Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: PC renovation...

Default PC renovation...

Hi

I'm running a 2 year old pc, with an Athlon 2400+ cpu, 512 mb of ram and a GeForce Ti4600.

I want to get some more life out of the thing, so im looking for some future proofing upgrades to play bf: vietnam, doom3 + hl 2 when they come out, halo and the like, as well as boosting my performance in current games.

Ive got about 300 pounds to spend, so what is the best to get?

I was thinking of a Saphire ATi 9800 pro, some case fans to allow overclocking and prehaps some ram, i'm open to all ideas - spend my money for me!

1 more thing, do case fans all need power connectors on the motherboard to plug into? as ive got no more left (it only has 1 spare and it powers the 1 fan i have atm) or can you get an adaptor / wire them in another way?

many thanks for any ideas

Well the R9800P will certainly give you a boost in video performance and another 512MB of memory won't hurt at all but as the overclocking/updating the CPU will depend a lot on what mainboard you have.
    Also run your fans straight off the PSU as powering them off the mainboard can cause instability (or damage in the worst case) to the mainboard.
    Last edited by wayout44; 06-27-2004 at 09:54 AM.

A 9800 Pro wil help a lot. That's definitely where to start. More RAM won't make a huge difference in most games, but it will help a lot.

I would suggest getting a 9800 Pro...

Also the case fans will help for overclocking. Also your case has to have good airflow. If it doesnt that will limit your overclocking.

You dont really need more ram. If you have the money you could buy another 512 and it will help performace a bit, but that 512 wont hurt anything.

The best thing you could do right now is buy the 9800 pro. That will help with games alot.
    Last edited by KoolDrew; 06-29-2004 at 05:55 AM.

KoolDrew, if you would have payed attention to his first post, you would realize Newegg links will do him no good, as he is in Europe. Hence he said he has 300 pounds

Thread Information