Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 500 Dollar prebuilt Computer

Default 500 Dollar prebuilt Computer

Whats up guys, I've assembled computers before, and I know you get great performance for less money if you do it yourself. That being said, my good friends parent's want to buy a new computer, my friends told them, "Oh, Joe would do it" but they don't want me to for whatever, reason, maybe they'd think I couldn't and would break something, who knows, who cares. Point of the post being..

>LAZY PEOPLE SKIP TO HERE>>> Where can I get a computer for $500 give or take besides a Dell, cause those 500 dollar dells are as slow as anything. They'd only be using it for websurfing..they may need to add in a pci card for their internet, I think they have wireless. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Best wishes,
    Joe

Default Re: 500 Dollar prebuilt Computer

eBay, possibly? I've seen a few that would ONLY be good for surfing for $100, some even less, and they seemed really legit.

You could, of course, build it yourself and say you got it from somewhere else...

Depends on what they want for it. For the price, they might just buy a cheap e-Machine. If all they want is the tower, $500 can by a decent system, but if they want everything...you're pushing it. You might see if the local shops offer a low-end box for cheap, and see what you can do for a custom build for $500. It won't be a powerhouse, but that's probably one of the best shots you have.
    Last edited by Morgan_Lander; 07-19-2004 at 07:15 AM.

What do you need, exactly? $500 is just fine even if you need a monitor and everything. A <$200 Duron (just CPU, motherboard, RAM, sound, and video) system will do what they need just fine and leave plenty of room for optical and hard drives, monitor, mouse, etc. The only guidelines I can think of would be to get at least a 1.6GHz Duron with 256MB of PC2100 RAM. It shouldn't be hard to find an OEM system with at least that along with everything else you need for under $500. Although, you should really try hard to convince them to allow you to build it yourself.

If you only need the basic mobo, CPU, video + sound, and RAM, you could tell them it's not going to take $500 as anything much past an Athlon XP 2500 with PC2700 RAM is mostly wasteful. If the web browser opens in half a second and the page loads depending mostly on the connection speed, a faster processor won't do a whole lot. Besides, they'll probably appreciate having to spend less and give you a bonus or something.

Thank you to all the replies. It turns out that she is just giving the computer to a friend who owns a shop, and she will upgrade it. >_<

Man, they have a really messed up comp, they are just going to upgrade. Thank you all for your time.

Nothing a reformat and reinstall can't fix.

Thread Information