Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate PC

Default Read The Ultimate PC Here Now!!

If I wanted to buy the best of the best in technology and pre built by experts, I would buy the Alienware ALX systems. They are so expensive though you'd be lucky if you didn't have to take a mortgage out on one, that said... Who's heard of the ALX Video Array where you combine two video cards to provide double frame rates and rumours of 800 watt PSU's. this technology will set you back thousands though. an ordinary ALX system would typically.
    here's the web address
    http://www.alienware.com/alx_pages/main_alx.aspx
    Last edited by jamie_horwood; 07-27-2004 at 05:01 AM.
    Lian LI PC60
    (2 intake 80mm ADDA/3
    exhaust 80mm ADDA)
    EG465P-VE Enermax Dual fan PSU 465watt
    Asus A7N8X Dx ver2.0 C1007 latest bios
    AthlonXp 3200+ Barton
    Xms Corsair 3700PT TwinX paired 2x512@200mhz
    200mhz X 11.0 = 2.205GIG
    creative audigy 2
    Asus V8460 U Ti 4600 Dx
    CPU full load 28C
    Case full load 24C
    Western D HDD 120gb
    XP Professional current best- crap
    11682 marks=xp best performance settings @ 2500+ 166mhz x 11.0X = 1.83GIG

Default Re: The Ultimate PC

I saw this system a while ago and yes its a good system but I would never spend that much on it.

Default Re: Read The Ultimate PC Here Now!!

Quote Originally Posted by jamie_horwood
    Who's heard of the ALX Video Array where you combine two video cards to provide double frame rates and rumours of 800 watt PSU's.
    Sounds like a pair of PCI-E 6800 Ultra boards running SLI mode. And no, I haven't heard of an 800 watt PSU from anyone. I've seen them at 650 watts so far but that is as high as I've heard of at the time.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

It won't double framerates. It will provide a noticable improvement, but no where near close to double. No CPU powerful enough to not hold back dual 6800 Ultras has been invented yet. Even the dual-core Opterons AMD recently finish engineering of probably couldn't do it. There are components other than video cards that effect framrates, so spending over $600 to get a second card is just dumb. Hell, spending that much on cooling and then overclocking everything would probably produce better results.

I also went and looked at the two pre-built $5000+ machines from that page. Let me put my thoughts on it this way:
    You could build two computers faster than either of the Alienwares for less than the Alienwares cost. Look at the customization page. It's $60 for an 8-foot power cable, $172 for a DVD+RW drive, and over $4400 if you remove everything you can (on the AMD system). You can use better quality hardware in many areas and come out with thousands less on the total cost.

Have a look at these compys:

http://www.go-l.com/store/hardware/machl38.htm

The minimum to buy one is $4000, and I customized on up to around $20,000. As Yawg said, most of the computers they sell can be built my a single person for much less money (though, attaining some of the parts might be a bit hard).

Nah, you can get any hardware they can and better. The motherboard, HDD, CPU, sound card, video card, and just about anything else you can think of is easily found at online retailers such as Newegg. I'd even disagree with many of the choices those companies use. For example, Alienware seems to use the fastest RAM possible while slower RAM with better timings can show better performance in the long run.

If you do want an SLi video setup then just wait until the nForce4 chipset is released (about the same time as the FX-55) as mainboards based on this chipset will accomodate dual PCI-E GF6800's with Scalable Link Interface though Intel's workstation chipset "Tumwater" can also support them.

And the FX-55 is faster than anything Intel has for desktops, so you'll get a lot more of your card(s).

Quote Originally Posted by MRZigzz
    Have a look at these compys:

http://www.go-l.com/store/hardware/machl38.htm

The minimum to buy one is $4000, and I customized on up to around $20,000. As Yawg said, most of the computers they sell can be built my a single person for much less money (though, attaining some of the parts might be a bit hard).
    You can get 4 monitors for $20,000 USD without any extra accessories. Seems extreme. :p
    Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

The site MRZigzz linked to was rediculous. The only way it gets any sales is through incredibly ignorant people. If you spend $4000 for a system with 256MB of RAM, then you might as well just burn your money as a method of heat. It's just wasteful. Alienware and all OEMs are, but that one is much, much more wasteful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information