Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new barebone, needing advice

Default new barebone, needing advice

I attended the Summer CPL, awesome event. About half way through, I won a Shuttle XPC ST61G4.

I have an 80 gig hd and gig of pc3200 ram to use, but dont know much about intel processors and graphic cards.

Price range for processor and vid card: $350-400

Processor in mind: 2.8GHz+ w/ HT and the Prescott core (avg price $150-170)

vid card... No idea on which vid card to get, but I know the specs that I want. 400-500+MHz clock speed, 600-700"MHz mem speed. TV-out if possible, agp (only 1 agp and 1 pci slot, so i assume it would be better for me to use the agp slot for vid card...???) decent amount of pipelines and all the other up to date stuff. spend around 200 or 250? that price range.

Any help / advice is appreciated.

thanks in advance

Default Re: new barebone, needing advice

Don't ever get a Prescott. They perform worse than the Northwood equivelents in most cases (yes, worse even though they have more L2 cache) and just run hot. Get a 2.8C maybe along with a Radeon 9800 Pro. That, with your HDD and GB of RAM will get you a nice, mid-range gaming system.

What brand 9800 pro? or do any companies mod it up?

Oh, and I didnt know anything about the prescott... hmmm
    Last edited by Nuckin Futz; 08-03-2004 at 11:50 AM.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...px?i=1956&p=25

I don't have any information regarding specific 9800 Pros, although I own a Sapphire 9800 Pro and it works fine and overclocks reasonably well. The Sapphire 9800 Pro also seems to be about the cheapest right now, but you do get what you pay for. Others may overclock better or come with more desirable packages (extra stuff like games). You're pretty much limited to a 9800Pro with that price range, although you could try and fit a GeForce 6800 such as this into your budget. That would be great if you could.
    Basically:
    2.8C
    Geforce 6800 OR 9800 Pro

Hmm, for the same price of 9800 pro, i could get x600. Reading up on the speeds, seems the x600 is faster, but then again, its pci express and I only have 1 pci slot and 1 agp.

damn, this is hard... so many factors. Just i dont know what i could be limiting myself to by losing my pci slot to a vid card. Got any suggestions on the x600?

And yeah, I do appreciate all the help you're giving me, Thanks.
    Last edited by Nuckin Futz; 08-03-2004 at 12:27 PM.

Well, there are PCI-E to AGP bridges that should allow you to use that card. Whether or not the card comes with one, I have no idea.

Do you have any links to benchmarks of the X600? I wouldn't think the X600 to be as fast as the 9800 Pro unless I saw some benchmarks showing otherwise. Logic says that a 256-bit card will beat a 128-bit card, however the X600 has a substantially higher core speed that may make up for being 128-bit.

yeah, you're right... the x600 xt is just a comparison of the 9600xt.

So I guess the 2.8c and 9800 pro is the way to go, thanks.

.. I guess all I wanted is a comp to run Far Cry/Doom 3/HL2 on medium to high settings

**side note, the 6800 says that they recommend a 350W psu, the shuttle only has a 250

This will easily run those games at medium to high quality on 1024x768 - 1600x1200.

You have to replace that PSU with a good quality 400+W PSU. This Thermaltake 420W will handle either card just fine and has a good price.

Hold on a minute, you got this? The one with
    # An external fanless power supply, much like a very big notebook PC PSU, and
    # An absence of the AGP slot, with integrated video the only option.
    You can forget about a video card and new PSU...

Naw, they were discribing the Zen in that section in comparison to mine which comes with a PSU inside the case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information