Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Solving the bottleneck?

Default Solving the bottleneck?

Hello, people of TweakTown!
    This is my first post here, but I'm hoping that you'll ignore that and help me out anyways .

Allright, here's the deal. I've had my computer for almost a year, and lately I've been noticing some performance issues in games like Far Cry and Doom III.

My computer's specs are: Albatron KX18D Pro motherboard, Athlon XP 2700 OCed to 2400 mhz, 512MB generic pc2700 RAM, Albatron GeForce FX5600 XT w/ 256MB VRAM, 7200RPM Western Digital 120GB 8MB Cache HD.

I was just searching for the bottleneck in my computer, and I'm pretty sure it's the video card. It runs at 230mhz GPU 500mhz RAM stock, and that seems rather low as compared to most other cards. I run Far Cry and Doom III about as well as my friend's 1.8ghz Pentium 4 computer with 512MB pc2100 and a radeon 9000, and that just sort of pisses me off.

So now the question is, should I blow 400 bucks and pick up a Radeon x800 Pro? I mean, with my current system, would that be overkill? That might make the bottleneck somewhere else, and leave the video card starved for attention.

What do you fine people of TweakTown suggest I do?

Default Re: Solving the bottleneck?

Well nVIDIA's XT prefix means the same as ATi's SE, its been newted, so performance will be lower than a normal 5600. Also what FSB are you running?
    You may also need to tweak XP and/or the games.

I'm running a 200mhz fsb, with a DDR ratio of 1.66 so my ram stays 333mhz but my processor goes 400 after DDR.

Unfortunately, I can't tweak XP because I'm running win2k. I just never saw the need to upgrade my OS considering that XP takes so much more ram.
    I couldn't think of a good quote to put in here, so I'll just say this: Hello, world!

Replacing the PC2700 with PC3200 will get rid of another bottleneck you have but as for XP needing more memory than 2K is BS as both oses are pretty much the same and 512MB is good for both but 2K is much more an enterprise os where as XP is much better suited for gaming.

Farcry game tweaks
    Doom 3 game tweaks (Tweakguides should have its tweak guide for this one up soon which should be more thorough)

true - 2k sux in comparison to XP and it's tweakin ability.
    ~AlthonXP T-Bred 2,600 @ 2305mhz~
    ~Epox 8RDA+~
    ~Hercules Radeon 9800XT 256mb~
    ~512 Corsair P3200 @ 6,2,2,2.0~
    ~WD1200JB HDD~
    ~Antec 1080 Plus~

Thread Information