Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Building a monster

Exclamation Building a monster

Ok, I am looking for inputs from others in the comminity who would deem themselves as experts in making a mad machine.

I have only a couple small rules to the machine.

It will be for gaming, but as always will be used to do email and web and all that other stuff that somehow gets into a computer to take away from my gaming time.

Price no more then $1500 (not including monitor)

The MB will be able to support my Ultra160 SCSI card and 4 10k 160 drives. the $1500 does not include the price of these drives and card.

So do we have any winners?

Ok, editing now, I have throught it over and I can figure the system out myself, I guess I am looking for a MB with onboard raid that is reliable and fast with no issues.

I am not settled with AMD or Intel yet, but AMD seems to have more bang for the buck and handles games better then the Intel chips.

What kind of opinions can I get?

Thanks
    Last edited by phoenixone; 08-13-2004 at 01:55 PM.

Default Re: Building a monster

If you're running SCSI drives you're most likely going to need a board that has onboard SCSI or PCI-X slots. That basically limits you to either Xeon(s) or Opteron(s) (and maybe there are some Athlon MP boards). Can't help you much with the board, but you should go with an Opteron board (get duals if you want; you probably can with that budget). It will perform better than anything Intel has, especially in games. It will also cost less for better performance.

Thread Information