Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: First time building PC ?'s

Question First time building PC ?'s

This will be the first time I've tried building my own PC and I'm looking for some suggestions or confirmations. I'll list what I've come up with so far and any feedback would be appreciated. This system will be a home system that will do gaming and basic photo editing etc.

Asus MB KV8 Socket 754 K8t800 chipset $103
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processor 512MB cache L2 Newcastle core? $172
    Samsung SATA HD 160GB 7200rpm $99
    ATI All-in-wonder Radeon 9600XT vid card $178
    Mushkin 184pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 memory $75
    Aspire ATX Beige case w/350 watt PSU $49

Is there anything I should look for that will increase performance without adding too much cost? Should I look for a 1MB Cache Athlon 64 3000? Is assembling all this very difficult? I would like decent graphics and a system that will run current games and games for the next couple of years. I would also like a degree of upgrade-ability. Hit me with any suggestions.....thx!

Default Re: First time building PC ?'s

If you really want upgradability you would want to look at a socket 939 ssytem if you can afford it. Assembling a computer is not very difficult either. If you do need help we can always help you out. And for a good graphics card you might want to spend a bit more to get a 9800 pro. That would be the lowestr I would go if it is a true gaming PC.

Wow, looking at Socket 939 stuff, unless I'm mistaken the price jump in CPU is up to like 500-600. I'm trying to keep the system price around 7-800 total. I may up the processor to a 3200 or even a 3400 but I doubt I'll go as high as the 939. Am I really limiting myself with a socket 754? Keep in mind, I'm upgrading from a Pentium 3 550MhZ with a TNT2 and 256mb RAM.
    BTW can anyone clue me in as to the meaning of the clawhammer,newcastle etc cores in AMD terminology..I'm AMD illiterate but would like to know the differences there? Thx for the quick answer.
    Last edited by jackdp; 08-16-2004 at 11:02 AM.

Clawhammer = 1MB L2 cache, 200MHz less than Newcaslte equivelent
    Newcaslte = 512KB L2 cache

Every regular A64 below 3400 is a Newcastle, but there are Clawhammers designed for "desktop replacement notebooks" (or DTR notebooks) that might not be recognized properly by a desktop motherboard. These are very attractive because of the extra L2 cache, but don't get one unless you've researched and discovered the motherboard you have chose is most definitely compatable with DTR CPUs.

For motherboard, the Chaintech VNF3-250 is one of the best motherboards you can get and is incredibly cheap ($75). For a motherboard with more features such as Firewire and Gigabit Ethernet, the MSI K8N Neo Platinum is a great motherboard. Those are two of the top performers and I would recommend whichever has the features you need.

For video card, get nothing less than a Radeon 9800 Pro. I would recommend this Sapphire 9800 Pro as it costs very little and seems to ship with 9800XT parts (meaning you can turn it into a 9800XT or just overclock it to XT speeds). I haven't checked the parts, but mine is running higher than XT speeds right now. However, if you can afford it, a GeForce 6800 for around $290 would be much better. It will perform more than twice as well for only about $90 more than a 9800 Pro.

For RAM, I would recommend this OCZ PC3200 as it has good timings at a good price. If you want to do some overclocking, two sticks of thisthis PC3500 will be quite good as it is cheap and has pretty good timings.

You'll probably want more than a 350W PSU, especially not one that comes with a case as these tend to be crappy unless coming from a company such as Antec or Thermaltake. This 420W Thermaltake is the best thing you can find for such a good price. It will be more than enough and costs very little for such a good PSU.

For HDD, I'd say a Maxtor, Seagate, or Western Digital. I haven't heard of Samsung's HDDs being quite as good, but maybe someone else can help you more there...

I'm looking at this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-413&depa=1

Which appears to be a clawhammer Athlon 64 3200...is this one of the DTR's I should look for?

Just a suggestion about what mainboard to get. Firstly do not buy a mainboard based on the VIA K8t800 or nVIDIA nF3-150 chipset (these are 1st generation chipsets). Get a mainboard that is either based on the VIA K8t800-Pro or nVIDIA nF3-250 series chipsets.

Thread Information