Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Buying ram first

Default Buying ram first

I have a 2x256 mb ram. When I checked using Si Sandra soft it says I can easily get another ram thingy or something as I have free slots. I wanna get ram first because its the cheapest thing I can get and Im really on a hugeeee bugget.

My Mobo is intel D845GBV.

My current ram is 2x256 mb DDR ram pc2100.

Can I slot in a 512 mb pc3200 DDR ram next to it ? Will it be incompatible ? Also I wanna get extra fans. My current system is running at around 38 degrees. Whats the optimum heat for a computer to run and not destroy itself . Also , how do u install fans ? :S

Please advise :D

Default Re: Buying ram first

oooo, lots of questions at once.

Firstly, with buying new RAM there is not much point buying PC3200 unless you are running 200MHz FSB (which you arent). You should really try and buy some matching speed memory, or if you cant, get some PC2700. It will run at the speed of your FSB though, which I am assuming is 133MHz.

It doesnt really matter if you buy higher-spec RAM, as they are backward compatable with lower FSBs, but in some cases they are more expensive (especially with 512mb mods)

For your tempreture readout there should be two sensors. One will sense the CPU tempreture, while the other is a motherboard/case tempreture sensor.

If that reading of 38C is coming from your CPU then there is no need to worry! If it is coming from your mobo/case sensor, then its a bit to high and should be reduced by a few degrees.

As for burning out hardware, you dont have to worry about that. A CPU wont burn out until it is running continously for a few minutes at 85C or higher. With tempretures of 38C you are fine. Hell, my processor generally runs at about 48C (under working conditions).

If you want to cool your system down, then read my Barton Overclocking guide. Obviously you arent interested in the overclocking sections, but there is some useful information in there for cooling your system down. To read it, just goto the Overclocking forum (in Hardware), then the Barton OCing thread.

As for installing case fans, then depending on the quality of your case, there should be some built in areas where case fans can be installed. If you want optimal air intake, you should install one fan at the back, and another in the side of your case (will require some modding).
    AMD XP2500+ (2.3GHz, 'barton'), Abit NF7-Srev2 mobo, 2x 256mb PC2700 (crucial memory), nVidia GeForce 4 128mb, 80gb Western Digital ATA-133, 40gb Maxtor ATA-100, BTC 52x32x16 CD/RW and half a dozen fans!

and another thing, with 512mb RAM already installed in your system, another 512mb wont make much difference unless you are a hardcore gamer. There are only a few games which really need the 1gb level of memory (doom 3 being the obvious).

(FYI 2x256mb means you have two modules, 256mb each)
    AMD XP2500+ (2.3GHz, 'barton'), Abit NF7-Srev2 mobo, 2x 256mb PC2700 (crucial memory), nVidia GeForce 4 128mb, 80gb Western Digital ATA-133, 40gb Maxtor ATA-100, BTC 52x32x16 CD/RW and half a dozen fans!

I'd say get another 512MB stick of PC3200 or PC3500. It will run at PC2100 speeds with your other RAM and work perfectly, but you can then use it when you replace your system.

Ye Im upgrading my com slowly at a time :) I will change my mobo and processor to the ones yawgmoth suggested ( copied and paste his last advice to my com :D ) and if I REALLY have enough money , a gFX 6800 , if not a , a 5800 ultra or 5950 maybe will do fine.

I heard new graphic cards and mobos and processors run alittle hot thats why I wanna know how to install fans.

For cooling your processor just make sure you have an intake fan and an exhaust fan in your case, and then a high quality HSF. Generally the ones supplied with processors are lame, and you should invest in a new one. Make sure you get one with a big surface area (longest, widest, most number of fins) and best air flow. You can usually tell a quality HSF from a poor quality one just buy looking at its construction and weight.

I agree. It's usually a good idea to replace the retail HSF (assuming you even get a retail CPU) and it's always smart to replace the thermal compound with Arctic Silver 5. I do this on everything I can. Arctic Silver 5 can mean a much cooler video card and processor, which means more overclockability (or just a longer life).

Whats a HSF ? :S

Sandra only goes by how many ramslots the controler "can" have. Lower end and or mobos with onboard gfx tend to only have 2 ramslots even though the controler han handle more. Your mobo only has 2 ramslots. example... sandra thinks my mobo has 2 cpu sockets since the chipset suports dual and was available in dual.
    Last edited by maximus7001; 09-23-2004 at 05:10 PM.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w