Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Recommend a PCI graphic card please

Default Recommend a PCI graphic card please

I need a PCI graphic card for a friend. His system is prolly outdated to my standards anyways but he just need a new one to replace his 32mb card now. Anything is better I guess but I need something that does anything thrown at it "ok". I dont expect it to play DOOM 3 well but I want it to play counterstrike 1.5 perfectly, yes I said 1.5 I dont know his system specs btw but let's just assume that his card is the choker.
    -Case - Aspire X-Dreamer (Silver)
    -Processor - P4 2.8C OC 3.26GHz
    -Motherboard - Chaintech S865PE Socket 478 Intel® Pentium 4 800MHz FSB Intel 865PE + ICH5
    -RAMs - pqi TURBO (2 x 1GB) DDR400 Dual Channel 2.5-3-2-5
    -Graphic Card - HIS ATI 512MB X1650 Pro
    -Hard Drive - Western Digital 7200rpm 8mb cache (250gb)
    -CD Drive - NEC DVD-RW ND-2510A

Default Re: Recommend a PCI graphic card please

Either get an FX5200 or R9200 though neither will be great but the FX will support DX9 but the PCI bus will choke both of them so don't expect the same performance as an AGP model.

An FX5200 or Radeon 9200 will handle Counter-Strike quite easily. There is a very good chance they'll run it at whatver the highest resolution his monitor supports.

However, any 32MB card should handle CS 1.5 at around 1024x768 pretty well. I've seen it played at that on shared 32MB S3 graphics. You should find out his specs, because there's a very good chance the card is the bottleneck. It's also possible that he just has a lot of background programs making the game unplayable.

I seriously think the 32mb card is the bottleneck also. I'll look into the 2 given graphic cards. THX
    -Case - Aspire X-Dreamer (Silver)
    -Processor - P4 2.8C OC 3.26GHz
    -Motherboard - Chaintech S865PE Socket 478 Intel® Pentium 4 800MHz FSB Intel 865PE + ICH5
    -RAMs - pqi TURBO (2 x 1GB) DDR400 Dual Channel 2.5-3-2-5
    -Graphic Card - HIS ATI 512MB X1650 Pro
    -Hard Drive - Western Digital 7200rpm 8mb cache (250gb)
    -CD Drive - NEC DVD-RW ND-2510A

Thread Information