Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: I need some help!

Default I need some help!

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

I am in the market for a new pc. It has been a while since I have done any research on components and it is a tad bit overwhelming looking at all the new chipsets and standards.

I wanted some suggestions as to what is the best AMD motherboards, Processors, RAM, Video Card, DVD+/-RW Drive....etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have about $500 and I would like to get the best my money could buy.

My current PC spec is as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 2600 Barton Core
    Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo
    512 MB (2X256MB) PC 2700 RAM
    128MB ATI Radeon 9600 PRO
    60GB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive
    Lite-On DVD ROM

Again I am not looking to upgrade...thanx in advanced

Default Re: I need some help!

Bump

come on people...someone help me please!

You can't possibly replace all that with something better for $500 U.S., assuming you're talking about U.S. prices. What you have is worth about that much...

What you'll want to be looking at, though, is an Athlon 64 setup. You'll need a 400W+ PSU from a good company like Thermaltake or Anandtech (Thermaltake has best bang-for-buck IMO), a good socket 754 board (the Chaintech VNF3-250 and MSI K8N Neo Platinum are a couple of good ones), a socket 754 Athlon 64 (Athlon 64 2800-3400; Athlon 64 3700), and a GeForce 6800 (not a GT or Ultra as they are too expensive). The GeForce 6800 and PSU are most important as they would mean a huge performance boost even in your current system. If you need to save money for a while, you can actually keep your RAM (even though it's PC2700), HDD, and optical drives. Unless your situation is that you want to keep this system and build a more powerful one to have in addition to your current one. If that's the case, and you really are limited to $500 U.S.), then you're going to have some trouble. You'll bascially end up getting hardware almost identical to what you have now.

If you're looking into a new HDD as well, I would recommend an 80GB Seagate SATA drive. I can't claim to have been following burners or really any optical drives, so someone else will have to help you in that respect.

So if you do need new RAM, as well, some CAS 2.5 Kingmax PC3500 is decent for overclocking and very well-priced (I'm still assuming your American), but some Corsair XMS PC3200 with 2-3-3 timings would be good for overclocking or stock performance. A cheaper alternative for stock performance might be Muskin PC3200 with 2-3-3 timings.

BTW, there's no need to bump a thread here, especially not on the same day it's posted.

Thanx for the help. I am not american...I am from Trinidad (in the Caribbean), but I shop online from US stores. The days of the $500 gaming machine are over I guess! LOL. Well I would look at the prices and see where I can cut corners. If you have any more suggestions it would be great.

It's not really a gaming machine. It's a budget system that has to last at least 3 years. Would like to run games such as Battlefield 1942, NFS Under Ground, Fifa 2004 etc... but it's main function is not games.

BTW what do you think of the ASUS "K8N-E Deluxe motherboard ?
    Last edited by sr18de; 09-28-2004 at 09:46 AM.

**** what you've got should run those games just fine.

yeah they do run those games fine...but I am in the market for a new system.

Get one of the motherbaords I mentioned... The Chaintech would probably be better, since it's cheaper. Both are better than the K8N-E Deluxe. Don't choose motherboards based on brand, except for avoiding brands. ASUS and ABIT don't make the best motherboards in socket 754 or 939. I'd say go with the Chaintech VNF3-250.

With the saved money, make that 9600XT into a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro.. A 9600XT would be a waste of money, especially if you're going from a 9600. A 128-bit card to a slightly more powerful 128-bit card is an upgrade that wastes money. Also, you need a retail Athlon 64 since the OEM comes with no heat sink.

Thread Information