Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burner

Beefy Guest

the early model Lite-On were, to be honest, pieces of ****e. Just recently they've gotten their act into gear and started making some good quality burners. Anything 24x + by them is quality... :)

Lite-on 40X read 24X write 10X Re-write for $149 @ www.cws.net.au . The Lite-on is able to burn to 99 minute CD's (Tom's Harware Guide were able to get 900MB on one of these CD's) when they become available in Australia too!

Actually the 12x liteon burners begun their rocket to fame.
    These burners also took hacked firmwares to turn them into 14/16x burners too. The 16x sorta did EMF writing, the 24x definatly did. (its what ive gots)

Few weeks ago the 32x and 40x were a waste of time and money because of their price, and the fact they burnt cds about 8secs faster than the model below them.
    Now their prices are really, really close together. So get the latest and greatest i say!

I'm starting to look a little more serriously now. I've now got a job (guess I should change my sig) and with that comes money ! WooHoo !! I'm currently looking at LiteOn, Ricoh, AOpen. Apparently Teac is now the quickest writer but there is NO WAY I'd even ever consider buying one of their **** products. Not a chance.

I was originally thinking that LiteOn were a cheap low quality brand but I saw that they have something to do with JVC (can't remember the details) so that gives them some credibility.

Anyway, the about are the brands I'm going to look into more. Any comments / suggestions (relating to the burners !) ?

Cheers.
    WooHoo !! I at long last have a job ! Yay for me !

----------------- Proof I think FAR too much ----------------

How does the headless horseman see where he's going ???

Best is Plextor & Yamaha
    Second best is LiteON

However, their pricing is in reverse.

ie- Plextor & Yahama cost the most, LiteON dont.

The LiteON can do everything the plextor/yamaha can, only a tad slower. (mainly when reading cds)
    the slowness im talking about is from 40seconds, to 5minutes. This is only when reading heavily damaged cds, cds with a tough protection scheme, or just your typical low-quality media.

So id go with the LiteON. Ive got the 24x model. Does everything i need it to, and more. The 32/40x model arent that much more expensive. These drives are brilliant value.

if you do go Liteon, there are brand spankin' new firmwares out for the 32 and 40x offering more reliability with new media.

ok, thanks ! I haddn't thought of Yamaha. What I get will probably be dependant on what's at the swap meets, but I MIGHT actually go to a shop if need be !

You're not a fan of Ricoh ? Basically people are saying it's between Plextor and LiteOn (performace v's price). So the Plextor is also good at reading damaged / protected cds ?? I've heard that's a real strength of the LiteOn. I've been reading peoples opinions at www.cdspeed2000.com but it's a bit old.
    WooHoo !! I at long last have a job ! Yay for me !

----------------- Proof I think FAR too much ----------------

How does the headless horseman see where he's going ???

Nope, not a big fan of Ricoh. They are pretty low quality if you ask me. Some of them are re-badge jobs.

The Plextor & Yamaha drives are top-of-the-line drives. They will last a lifetime but cost you a limb.
    The LiteON can do everything they can do, only a tad slower.

Either way, its up to you and your money. If you find the Plex/Yamaha at a reasonable price, get it. Hell, get me one. :)
    But you wont be dissapointed with the LiteON.
    Or its price.
    Very affordable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information