Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comp part selection good or not?

Default Re: Comp part selection good or not?

I'll start by mentioning that you can't use DDR2 in any AMD motherboard, just yet.

1. Perfect
    2. The MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum is a much better choice for what you seem to want from this machine.
    3. The Athlon 64 3200 will be guaranteed to come with a Winchester core, which you want, while Newegg might send you a Newcastle 3500, regardless of how the processor is advertised. Or, you could get something more expensive. The 3800 would be a nice step up for not too much more money, with the 4000 and FX-55 being the most expensive choices.
    4. The Sapphire X800 Pro costs much less but should be about as good (possibly better), but a GeForce 6800GT is worth considering, too. All three cards are out of stock right now.
    5. With newer boards having great onboard sound (the MSI K8N being a good example), I don't see any reason to get a PCI sound card unless you truly think your $113 will make a difference that you'll notice.
    6. A UPS is always nice, but I can't recommend anything specific. Maybe someone else can.
    7. The motherboard I suggested comes with dual, onboard Gigabit Ethernet. Don't waste money on an adapter when you'll probably never make use of the onboard LAN.
    8. Choose your case based on what you like about the case, its cost, and its airflow. You'll want a seperate PSU for this system. I'd say a Thermaltake 480W ought to be enough for this system, if not much more than enough.
    9. I usually try to stick with Lite-On or at least a brand I've heard of, but I can't see anything specifically wrong with this one off the top of my head.
    10. The SATA version of that hard drive is insignificantly more expensive, but significantly faster.
    11. I can't see anything wrong with it. You'll want to make sure to get enough to use all of your cases open fan slots. You'll also have to be sure they're the right size.
    12. I'd suggest two sticks of Crucial Ballistix PC3200. It's some of the best performance and overclocking RAM for Athlon 64s (if not the best). Three sticks is fine if you think you'll make use of 1.5GBs (at the cost of dual-channel, which isn't too much of a loss), but I'd suggest you keep away from four sticks of it as it won't run at a 1T command rate, most likely (and you want it to). Stay away from 1GB modules as they simply perform poorly.

You'll also need a heat sink for your processor. I keep finding myself recommending the Thermaltake Venus 12, but you can look around more for something else.

You're going to want a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers, aren't you? Even though you obviously have those, there's a good chance the speakers and monitor you have could be greatly improved upon. If you're into gaming (and you have better be if you're considering $400 video cards), you'll want a monitor with support for 1600x1200 or greater resolution@72Hz or greater refresh rate. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get some surroundsound speakers to go with that 8-channel onboard audio (or even a PCI card), assuming you don't already have any. The mouse and keyboard options are more for if you aren't happy with your current mouse and keyboard or want to try something different.

ahh no wonder it wasn't so expensive, i fergot about that im keeping some of my old stuff, the moniter recomendation would work. Luckly,i bought logitech 5.1 speakers months ago so i won't need new sorround sound speakers, unless i want 7.1. Motherboards having onboard sound? thats really cool but even with that would they support 5.1? That mother board you roccomended is awsome. Also, the case i selected got good reviews on space, so i dun THINK ill have a problom with space but i dunno.

and what about this BIG crt moniter NEC/MITSUBISHI FP2141SB-BK 22" SuperBright Diamondtron CRT Monitor –RETAIL
    Last edited by Zeeg; 10-26-2004 at 10:31 AM.

Space isn't an issue with the case, but the power supply could be a problem, like I said. My point was you'll probably want a seperate power supply and that the case should be chosen without consideration for the power supply.

That monitor should be good. It's big, with a high resolution and high refresh rate.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 10-26-2004 at 10:57 AM.

what about getting this as a case and adding a good power supply in it?

Sure. It's a great case. You wouldn't see me buying it unless I was paid to because it's so damn overpriced, but it's still a pretty good case from what I've seen and heard from others.

well is there a case with the same specs but cheaper somewhere?

Not that I know of. There are much cheaper cases (meaning different cases, not the same thing from a different retailer) that will get the job done, even if they don't look as cool or have great cooling. I don't have the kind of money necessary for this type of system, so I wouldn't be too likely to ever buy it or anything nearly as expensive. That case may be perfect for you, though. With a $3000 system, a $130 case can be worth considering.

oh ok casue i mean 4 fans, thats alot and the case looks pretty cool and it even has a temperature moniter which is also cool.

I've been looking into cases, and the Thermaltake Tsunami Dream is actually one of the best cases in terms of cooling there is. It's a little loud, but it's probably what I'd go with if I were in need of extreme cooling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information