Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creating a silent Gaming computer from the ground up, need advice.

Arrow Re: Creating a silent Gaming computer from the ground up, need advice.

jeez another huge pool of info to sort through <Gleefully i might add>

thanks for all the info you guys have tossed out at me and just to answer a few questions.

kool: was going for the silence basically because i play in an environment where a noisy pc is the difference between me being left relatively unmolested, and being chewed out by my roomies who sometimes complain about "that damn computer noise".

and yawg.. yes i did click on the link and took a look at that psu, but i was somewhat turned away from it by the fans. what i was hoping to accomplish was a completely fanless system.. however i think that might be a pipe dream now.

couple of questions, first i was just wondering if you guys would suggest any particular case for my new pc.. i realise you mentioned that i should get something cheap, but if you know any in particular that are good im more then happy to take suggestions.

i guess my only final question is when the nforce4 cards are projected to hit the market?

again <and again etc> thank you guys for all your info.. i hope im not being a pain in the butt with all these questions

Default Re: Creating a silent Gaming computer from the ground up, need advice.

while getting one right now will basically be non-upgradable in a few years when AGP is phased out. I wouldn't worry about it, though. It would be a good idea to wait, but you'll be fine otherwise.
    AGP will still be around for a long time, but soon PCI Express will have performance advantages over AGP so it is good to get. Especially with SLI.

Don't go and spend $150 on a case. The one I found is $26 and is a solid case with good airflow. There are better cases, but wouldn't you rather throw that extra $130 at a faster processor, video card, or something similar? Having a case that looks slightly nicer isn't really going to make your games run faster with better image quality, but a more expensive video card or processor would.
    I have looked at that case alot of times because you alwasy reccomend it but does it really have good airflow? With that 60mm fan in the back it doesn't look like it would be too good. It is good fro the price though. And I do agree try tp spend less on a case and spend the estra opn something else.

I'd also forget about your old hardware. Just about none if it will be useful, especially your RAM. Use it as a secondary system, or sell it. The CD drive might still be acceptable, but that's pretty much it.
    What about monitor, keyboard and mouse? Those are still very important components that can be kept from the old system.

first i was just wondering if you guys would suggest any particular case for my new pc.. i realise you mentioned that i should get something cheap, but if you know any in particular that are good im more then happy to take suggestions.
    This is the one Yawg was refering to.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...156-018&depa=0

i guess my only final question is when the nforce4 cards are projected to hit the market?
    I am not really sure but I ahve heard MSI's woud coem otu around christmas.

again thank you guys for all your info.. i hope im not being a pain in the butt with all these questions
    That is what these forums are meant for. To ask questions. So no you are not being a pain.

Default Re: Creating a silent Gaming computer from the ground up, need advice.

The 60mm fan in the back is the main complaint of the users, but most say it still has good airflow. I'd say using the sides as exhaust in addition to the back while having a few front intake fans would give pretty good airflow. I'd say with almost ceratainty that it's the best airflow you can get for such a low price, in any case (no pun intended).

When I say hardware, I usally refer to the core computer components. So long as the mouse and keybaord are PS2 or USB and it's a regular VGA CRT monitor, than whether or not they work is based on user preference.

Although, a new monitor may be "needed" in many cases based on the maximum resolution it supports. For example, my monitor can only go up to 1280x1024 and at that resolution it won' run at 72Htz or higher. Even though I'm still using a P4 2GHz, my monitor is actually whats holds me back in some games.

PCI-E won't have performance advantages over equivelent AGP cards anytime within the next few years, I'd bet, but SLI is really worth it and and a socket 939 motherboard with PCI-E could last for quite a few years without needing (or even causing a desire for) replacement.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 11-08-2004 at 03:23 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information