Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a silent Gaming computer from the ground up, need advice.

Arrow Creating a silent Gaming computer from the ground up, need advice.

ok now, i mistakedly made many threads across the board asking this question about different componants before being pointed here. forum mods please forgive the redundant use of space in those threads as i will try to move the conversation for all componant questions i have right here.

allrighty, here is my situation. everquest 2 , my new plaything, is coming out very soon. i have decided that after a good 5ish years of service that my current box has finally been overrun by software requirements for the new generation of games.

SO i am planning on eventually assembling a completely new system; however, i am not going to be able to buy everything at this very moment so i need to know what i can get that i can use to boost my current pc now, before transposing it into my new pc when i get everything together.

my current system is as follows:

AMD athalon (dunno which type) 1 ghz

2x 256 mb ram sticks (dunno speed or type.. bought at fries electronics long ago)

Ati radeon 8500 series card (64mb ram i think)

Creative sound blaster live! value sound card

a couple of old 20 gig hard drives 2-4 years.. one is a seagate the othe i forget.

i have an asus mobo.. but i dont know what type.. a friend gave it to me as surplus from the company he works at.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

the componants i listed bearly make the minimum requirements for this game (which i consider my "benchmark" for what kinda stuff i should have)

now, through the (much appreciated) help of kooldave and yawgmoth, i have compiled a short list of things that i will probably pick up.

a regular GeForce 6800 from eVGA(maybe overclock if it wont kill my rig)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...145-420&depa=0 this for my ram x2

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum for my mobo although the neo4 was suggested to me for a reason i dont quite understand, something about pci-e and SLI support.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...P=OTC-d3alt1me this is what i will probably use for my main cooling solution, i know it is a bit pricey... but its supposedly a virtually noiseless water cooling system so im hoping for the best.

other than that i am sorta weak on the details. so if you can offer any suggestions.. a good solid tower, etc.. thati might have missed please let me know. i had my eye on a case that was entirely made of thick aluminum (looked kinda like a refridgerator ) but i dont have an online link to it.

thanks for your help yawg and kooldave.. and thanks in advance to anyone who happens to bother assisting me

ps: i live in america so please keep to american dollars if possible.. and my usual price range is between 100-300 bucks. anything more then that and i think im being ripped off
    Last edited by smooman; 11-05-2004 at 02:35 PM.

Default Re: Creating a silent Gaming computer from the ground up, need advice.

I did not read your whol thread as I have to go to school in a couple minutes, but for your current rig you may have to buy a new PSU, but I do not know exatly what form factor your current one is so it may be better just buy it all at the same time if you can as if you upgrade the PSU you may have to get a new case, CPU and mobo and likely other things all at the same time and by the time you actually get all your parts you may have wnated to get soemthing else. So waiting until you ahve all yoru money saved up may be better. That way you may even be able to get nforce4 when it comes out.

Well, Have you decided who you are going to go with on the prosessor I think AMD is the best, there are some say Intel is better. I dont like to argue though, AMD Athlon 64(939) 3500+ would be best for overclocking, especialy if you get the newer 0.09 micron chip, rather than the 0.13 micron, if you are not going to overclock and you have some money to burn, go with the 3800+, My next rig is going to be a FX, however I am Waiting for nForce 4 to come out, I would suggest you do to if you can afford to wait that long. Like Yawg said in the other thread, the MSI K8N Nero2 Platinum, would be the best choice if you cant wait.

You will need a new PSU if yours is anywhing less than 350W, you will nost likley have a lot of problems with it if under that, I recomend 420-520W, for brands Yawgm0th has some good sugestions on that in other threads, you should always read through some of those before you post a new thread.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Since this is a gaming machien it should not be hard at all deciding between AMD and Intel. AMD is better in gaming then Intel hands down and going with a 3200+ 90nm 939 or a 3000+ (about $100 cheaper) would be best for overclocking.

If you can wait I woulod wait until nforce4. Search google for some info and anandtech has a great article on SLI.

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2258

IF you do decide to get nforce4 you could get 2 video cards. However you will not be able to use the 6800 that we suggested earlier as it is AGP and a PCI Express card is needed.

If you do not want to wait this would probally be a good setup.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    Corsair XMS Extreme Memory 512MB (can get a second stick later if you want.)
    eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Video Card

You may also need a harddrive. If you do then look into Seagate drives as they make great ones. Pick what size you think will be good for you. Also I do not know if you need an optical drive but if you do Lite-On makes soem of the best.

You can check out newegg and pick out a case you like and then post it here. There is other stuff like monitor aand everything but I suggest saving alot of stuff from your old PC and use it on thsi one. Including, mouse, keyboard,optical drives, speakers, monitor and anything else you think is fine to keep to save a bit of money.

Someone else can comment on the water cooling if you really want it. It will be alot more quiter then air cooling and you will be able to reach higher overclocks but it is a bit expensive. IF you really want water cooling for overclockability and silent opertion then soemone else would have to comment on that as I do not know much about water cooling.

An Athlon 64 3200 ought to be good for your processor. Edit: You can go up or down from that. The 3000 KoolDrew listed would also work, but get whatever you're willing to spend money on. You will get more for the cost of a 3200 over a 3000, but it's up to you to decide whether or not it's worth it. Both will perform very well.

For a case, this ought to be good as it's pretty good, but still affordable.

For a PSU, this ought to be good. Easily enough power for the system, regardless of whether or not you overclock. It's not too expensive, either.

Here's that video card. It's considered to be one of the best GeForce 6800s, and ocmes with a free copy of FarCry.

As for cooling, I wouldn't get one of those watercooling kits. Darthtanion, who has quite a bit of experience with watercooling, seems to recommend against the type of watercooling kits seen on Newegg. At the very least, wait for him to give you more help. You may decide that watercooling isn't worth the risk, effort, and cost. In that case, just get a Thermaltake K8 Silent Boost and Arctic Silver 5. They will allow for a lot of overclocking headroom, if you coose to overclock, and the Silent Boost is called Silent Boost for a reason. If the case fans are too loud for you and you want to replace them, I think this would be good as it will be almost silent at lower speeds. If the video card fan becomes a problem for you, a Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer ought to fix that. I've used that myself and I was quite pleased with the results, both in terms of cooling and sound. That said, I just threw $80 worth of air cooling at you, so don't totally drop the idea of watercooling.

For a hard drive, I think a Seagate 80GB SATA drive would be best. If you need more space, get a bigger drive, but as always I recommend getting a SATA drive from Seagate as Seagate has the longest warranty on hard drives and makes quality drives.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 11-06-2004 at 05:00 AM.

Arrow Re: Creating a silent Gaming computer from the ground up, need advice.

WOW! what a wealth of information to sort through. ok lets see..

first AMD lover: sorry about taking up space here with my thread.. i know i should probably look around the forums more to see if my issue has been addressed, but i work full time and go to school as well so it can be difficult for me to go forum hunting however i will be more dilligent in the future.

first question for anyone but related to amd lover: first of all i really appreciate the time you spent answering my post.i have heard of this Nforce4 thing.. i assume its an onboard video card or something but i am not sure.

and koolDREW :lol: what do you mean by having two video cards? i mean i think you mean that i would have the N-force and another seperate video card.. however what would the advantage be to that.. would the two "cards" conflict with each other?

Kooldrew: helpful as always mr kool my question for you is this (and again this question is open to anyone) 1) If i wanted to get a video card that was compatible with N force4, but comperable to that 6800... what would i have to get? do i need two cards? 2) am i correct in understanding that the only thing, out of that system you layed out for me, that i would be able to use with my current pc and that would be compatable with a new pc is the corsair ram?
    3) if i decided to wait for the new motherboards to come out... what sort of system would you reccomend?

Yawgmoth: so much cooling info! eep! ok lets see
    1) I looked around and i was thinking of using this http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...P=OTC-d3alt1me for the case (sorry i am ignorant when it comes to making pretty links that look like a word)

i know its a little pricey but i love the full aluminium box look (yah i know.. no window on the side ) are there any problems with this case? anything that i should have my attention drawn to would be appreciated.

2) i still dont quite understand the difference between the agp video cards and the new video cards other than they use a different socket. heck i went to fries today and i couldnt even find a mobo that had the new video card socket on it.

3) for a PSU i had to upgrade a little while ago and am currently using an antec "truepower" 430w with "sATA" connections available... again i am out of the loop lately so please forgive my ignorance with some terms. while it is supposed to be a "quiet" psu i find it still creates a fair amount of noise, so when i upgrade once again i will probably buy this..http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=17-159-029&ATT=Power+Supplies&CMP=OTC-d3alt1me trying to keep in line with the silent computer... no fans ;)

oh well i guess thats all i got for now... thanks for the info, given and to give

First off nForce is the line of motherboards made by Nivada, GeForce is one of their video card lines. I dont think that the nForce4 chipset will include onboard video because of the amount of room required for the other goodies on the boards, it is possable though. It is also to my understanding that pci-e and agp can not exist on the same board, also pci-e might not be available in all of the retailers yet.

I am worried about that tin can you keep mentioning, does if have suvviciend airflow?
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Arrow Re: Creating a silent Gaming computer from the ground up, need advice.

sadness

after taking a better look at some of the hundred or so reviews (most obvious product gushing) i came across some things that bothered me. apparently some people mentioned that this case was "not for a gaming pc" even going so far as to say that it "heated up the whole room before i added some fans" so it looks like my dreams died today

however i AM more then happy to recieve advice on any cases you guys find well worth mentioning. silence.. or near silence is important as well as airflow (if i really need it, im hoping to watercool but im hoping for some advice on that as well) it looks like im going with amd instead of pent so make your judgments based on that :)

thanks again for the help amd

first question for anyone but related to amd lover: first of all i really appreciate the time you spent answering my post.i have heard of this Nforce4 thing.. i assume its an onboard video card or something but i am not sure.

and koolDREW :lol: what do you mean by having two video cards? i mean i think you mean that i would have the N-force and another seperate video card.. however what would the advantage be to that.. would the two "cards" conflict with each other?
    If you read the article I posted in one of my above posts you wil see nforce4 is a chipset for a mtoherboard. And using SLI which MSIs new nforce4 board has you can run two video cards together for just about twice the performance.

1) If i wanted to get a video card that was compatible with N force4, but comperable to that 6800... what would i have to get? do i need two cards?
    You would need to get a PCI Express card (not to be confused with PCI) rather then AGP which the 6800 is and no you do not need 2 video cards. You could run one and then buy another of the same one later on if you wish and run in SLI.

2) am i correct in understanding that the only thing, out of that system you layed out for me, that i would be able to use with my current pc and that would be compatable with a new pc is the corsair ram?
    The RAM may work, but it all depends on your current mobo. I still suggest just buying all the core components all together when buying the new PC.

3) if i decided to wait for the new motherboards to come out... what sort of system would you reccomend?
    Basically the same setup. You would have to change the motherboard (of course) and the video card however, but it is hard to tell now what parts will be best. I ahev only heard of MSI's new board coming out, but if MSI's nforce4 board will be anywhere near as good as the nforce3 board (which it should) then it will be a good choice.

Yawgmoth: so much cooling info! eep! ok lets see
    1) I looked around and i was thinking of using this http://www.newegg.com/app/viewprodu...MP=OTC-d3alt1me for the case (sorry i am ignorant when it comes to making pretty links that look like a word)

i know its a little pricey but i love the full aluminium box look (yah i know.. no window on the side ) are there any problems with this case? anything that i should have my attention drawn to would be appreciated.
    That would not be a good case. I suggest reading soem rteviews to find a good case with good cooling. It is hard to find a good case for a good price. The Thermaltake cases are nice but WAY too overpriced.

2) i still dont quite understand the difference between the agp video cards and the new video cards other than they use a different socket. heck i went to fries today and i couldnt even find a mobo that had the new video card socket on it.
    PCI Express wil nto be available on AMD systems until nforce4 that is why we suggested it and PCI Express may not be that much better then AGP now but in the future PCI Express will be beneficial. Here is an article at ars that should clear things up:

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paed...are/pcie.ars/1

3) for a PSU i had to upgrade a little while ago and am currently using an antec "truepower" 430w with "sATA" connections available... again i am out of the loop lately so please forgive my ignorance with some terms. while it is supposed to be a "quiet" psu i find it still creates a fair amount of noise, so when i upgrade once again i will probably buy this..http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...P=OTC-d3alt1me trying to keep in line with the silent computer... no fans ;)
    Even though you are trying to build a silent PC I would nto suggest that PSu especially for overclocking. Why does noise bother you so much? I would try to get the PC as least noisy as possible, but if I could get soemthing that would perform a bit better I would rather get that and I coudl live with a bit of noise. You can choose components that are made to be silent but you are trying to make it completely silent which will not happen without scaraficing other stuff that are more important IMO such as cooling.

Also even though water coolign will cool better and be quiter I suggest just going with fans and stuff like Yawg suggested

Looks like KoolDrew covered pretty much everything.

This is the article he referred to, in case you can't find it. The point is, if you wait a while longer you would have a motherboard that would last for quite years before you needed or even had any reason to replace it, while getting one right now will basically be non-upgradable in a few years when AGP is phased out. I wouldn't worry about it, though. It would be a good idea to wait, but you'll be fine otherwise.

Don't go and spend $150 on a case. The one I found is $26 and is a solid case with good airflow. There are better cases, but wouldn't you rather throw that extra $130 at a faster processor, video card, or something similar? Having a case that looks slightly nicer isn't really going to make your games run faster with better image quality, but a more expensive video card or processor would.

Did you actually click on my links? The PSU I linked to is the Thermaltake W0010 Silent Purepower. Some users complain that it isn't silent, but I bet it would be most of the time (you'll rarely buy two of the same product and have them be exactly the same) or at least it would be extremely quiet.

I'd also forget about your old hardware. Just about none if it will be useful, especially your RAM. Use it as a secondary system, or sell it. The CD drive might still be acceptable, but that's pretty much it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information