Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: a few athlon 64 queries

Default a few athlon 64 queries

I hope to build a system around christmas based on AMD's athlon 64. I just need a few things clarified.
    As i understand it there are 3 sockets. Socket 754 for 2800, 3000, 3200 and 3400. Socket 939 for 3500, 3800, 4000, fx53 and fx54. Socket 940 for fx51. Is this correct?
    Im not the most hardcore so i don't want to spend on a 3800 etc. So at first glance it would seem that socket 754 is the way to go for me. However i do want upgradability. Say in 18 months time if i want to upgrade my processor will there be something new for socket 754? Or should i go for 939 if i want longliveity? My other concern with 754 is that the memory is only single channel, is this a major performance issue. I would like to go for socket 939 so are there any processors for this socket around the price of a 3000 or 3200?
    Im also worried that none of the mobos have PCI-E. I realise that currrently there are no performance benefits of it but as i've said earlier i do want longliveity. In 18 months time will i be able to get a good, new, modern, mainstream AGP card about as good as the geforce 6600 is today? If so then i don't mind not having PCI-E. I am concerned that in 18 months AGP will be obsolete.
    I've heard that some of the athlon 64 processors/sockets require registered DDR memory. What is registered memory and which models require it?
    Lastly what does the '+' sign mean in front of certain model names. eg- 3000+ & 3200+ as opposed to 3000 & 3200.

thanx

Default Re: a few athlon 64 queries

Quote Originally Posted by Arjun
    I hope to build a system around christmas based on AMD's athlon 64. I just need a few things clarified.
    As i understand it there are 3 sockets. Socket 754 for 2800, 3000, 3200 and 3400. Socket 939 for 3500, 3800, 4000, fx53 and fx54. Socket 940 for fx51. Is this correct?
    Almost; Socket 754 also has the Athlon 64 3700; Socket 939 has an FX-55, but not FX-54, and it has a 3000 and 3200; Socket 940 also has the Opteron line, which will see at least a few upgrades in the future (but still isn't worth considering, in this case).
    Im not the most hardcore so i don't want to spend on a 3800 etc. So at first glance it would seem that socket 754 is the way to go for me.
    Yes, socket 754 is easily the platform which will provide the most bang-for-buck.
    However i do want upgradability. Say in 18 months time if i want to upgrade my processor will there be something new for socket 754? Or should i go for 939 if i want longliveity?
    Im also worried that none of the mobos have PCI-E. I realise that currrently there are no performance benefits of it but as i've said earlier i do want longliveity. In 18 months time will i be able to get a good, new, modern, mainstream AGP card about as good as the geforce 6600 is today? If so then i don't mind not having PCI-E. I am concerned that in 18 months AGP will be obsolete.
    Either socket will have options for you down the road, but with socket 754 you will be limited to the Athlon 64 3700, which will perform about in between the 4000 and 3800, in most cases. It will still be good in 18 months, but not much longer. As for AGP, it will still be around in 18 months, too. you can expect PCI-E to completely take over the mid-range and high-end of the market within two to three years, I'd say. However, here's what I would suggest you do:
    Wait for PCI-E socket 939 motherboards to hit stores. MSI has one coming out soon. This may be upgradable until its life ends, which could be years down the road. It will allow you to use dual SLI PCI-E graphics and any socket 939 processor, so it should last quite a while.

My other concern with 754 is that the memory is only single channel, is this a major performance issue. I would like to go for socket 939 so are there any processors for this socket around the price of a 3000 or 3200?
    Socket 939 processors will run dual-channel and sometimes have better cores (3000-3800, with the 3000 and 3200 being guaranteed There's the Athlon 64 3000 for socket 939, which performs a bit better than the Athlon 64 2800, but worse than the socket 754 Athlon 64 3000. Dual-channel makes very little difference, and socket 54 processors will still have better bang-for-buck.

I've heard that some of the athlon 64 processors/sockets require registered DDR memory. What is registered memory and which models require it?
    Lastly what does the '+' sign mean in front of certain model names. eg- 3000+ & 3200+ as opposed to 3000 & 3200.
    Only socket 940 processors require registered memory, which is why you shouldn't consider them. The + at the end of AMD processors' model names is just a marketing gimic; ignore it.

Im not the most hardcore so i don't want to spend on a 3800 etc. So at first glance it would seem that socket 754 is the way to go for me.
    With the release of the 3000+ for socket 939 prices are under $200 so I would say socket 939 is the way to go

Also AGP will be around for a long time PCI-E will have performance benefits in the gfuture so going with a PCI-E board would be good in your situation. If you get MSi's SLi board then you can run 2 6800GTs or something else and it will last for quite a long time.

And dual channel does not provide much of a differnce. Probally about a 5% increase, but socket 939 is the way to go for other advantages

Thanks a lot. So will these PCI-E mobos be out by christmas? Also what exactly is 'registered DDR memory'.

ECC type memory modules add in a third cycle to be used as an "Error Correction" feature. In essence, you're asking your memory to slow itself down by 33% or more for this feature. This is not good for gaming.enthusiast rigs at all. As Smoelf pointed out above, it is designed for servers where perfect data transfers is paramount to a successful business.
    Quote from Darth

That is ECC memory; registered memory is different. Registered memory adds a chip to provide a clearer signal to the system, which is why compatibility problems crop up most times if this type memory isn't supported by the mainboard.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thanks a lot. So will these PCI-E mobos be out by christmas?
    I'd say so. Anandtech got a hold of one a week or two ago, and generally hardware hits stores within a month of hitting testing sites, but I can't guarantee anything.
    Also what exactly is 'registered DDR memory'.
    For the purposes of this conversation, it's more expensive, and irrelevant.
    Darth's description is correct, but what's important is that it's more expensive and is required for socket 940 systems, which are also more expensive (both CPU and mainboards) and not really preferable for gaming over socket 754, 939, or even 478.

Thread Information