Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Question about upgrading my system

Default Question about upgrading my system

My current system specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
    MSI KT3 Ultra
    MSI GeForce 4 Ti4800-SE 128 MB
    AzenRam 1 GB PC2700 DDR
    Soundblaster Audigy LS
    Maxtor 160 GB IDE hdd
    Maxtor 60 GB IDE hdd
    LG DVD-ROM
    LG CD-RW
    Antec 350W PS

And I'm thinking about an upgrade to an Athlon 64. I'm definitely looking for a socket 754 (as my next and last upgrade to this machine will be a video card), and I want the most bang for my buck.

Here are the CPUs and mobos I'm looking at along with the best prices I could find in town (in CDN $):

Athlon 64 2800+ - $178.99
    Athlon 64 3000+ - $208.99
    Athlon 64 3200+ - $258.99
    Athlon 64 3400+ - $307.00

Asus K8N-E Deluxe - $168.98
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum - $177.95

My questions are as follows:
    1. Are any of the price jumps for the CPUs worth it over others?
    2. Is there any advantage to having the mobo and video card made by the same manufacturer?

Peace

Default Re: Question about upgrading my system

Get socket 939. Especially for an upgrade. With the realease of the 90nm 3000+ and 3200 on socket 939 it is reall affordable. I would say get a MSI K8N Neo2 platinum and a AMD Athlon 64 3000+

1. Are any of the price jumps for the CPUs worth it over others?
    For socket 939 and overclocking no. A 3000+ is $100 less then the 3200+ and they both overclock to relatively the same speed so IMO it is not worth the extra $100 for a 3200+

2. Is there any advantage to having the mobo and video card made by the same manufacturer?
    I would not think there would be any advantage especially since there are better then MSI's video cards.

I wouldn't suggest getting socket 754 unless budget forces you to get an Athlon 64 2800 or Sempron 3100. I wouldn't suggest those motherboards, either, because they aren't budget boards. I'm assuming you want upgradability, anyway. I take all that back if you simply want the most bang-for-buck and don't care about upgradability. If you want bang-for-buck, get a Sempron 3100 with some cheap cooling and overclock it or get an Athlon 64 2800 and don't intend on heavy overclocking. The Chaintech VNF-3 250 should be your choice unless you can find the DFI UT NF3 250GB or MSI K8N Neo Platinum for roughly the same price.

Again, assuming you do want to be able to use the motherboard for a while before replacing it for an upgrade, look into socket 939. The MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum is certainly the motherboard you want if for a socket 939 system. For a processor, there is a socket 939 version of the 3000 and 3200 that you can look into for your budget, if that's a big issue.

An even better option would be to wait for the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI, which may be called the MSI K8N Diamond over in Canada. I'm thinking it will hit stores before 2005. Basically, it allows you the most upgradability because it utilizes PCI-E and SLI, which will allow you to keep for many years worth of upgrades and allows some very nice choices for video cards. With SLI, you can get one GeForce 6600GT or greater and eventually add another one and use both of them, which basically means each one renders half of the screen, which gives huge performance benefits.

In case you had planned otherwise, you'll also want to replace your power supply and RAM. That PSU is barely sufficient for a socket 754, if at all, and won't handle a socket 939 system with a good video card. You'll be able to take advantage of PC3200 RAM without any overclocking, so it would be best not to use PC2700. Again, I'm assuming you were planning on using some of your older stuff.

I'll explain further.

The reason I'm looking strictly at socket 754 is because I'm looking for the most bang for the buck right now. I'm looking for the most power for the money with zero upgradeability. The only other update I'm considering for this machine is MAYBE in 6 or 8 months I might throw in a new video card. Whenever I decide it's time to upgrade beyond that I will get a whole new machine, cpu, mobo, gfx card, sound card, hdds, ram, everything.. What I'm looking for is the best computer for the dollar amount with a combination of what I have now and what I've listed as parts I'm considering. Originally I was just going to upgrade my motherboard from the via kt333 chipset that's on it (with 4x agp) to an n-force2 with 8x agp. Then I was talking to a friend of mine about the prices of the socket 754 athlon 64s. That's why I'm considering a much more drastic upgrade. I do not plan on upgrading the ram or anything else from this machine except the mobo and cpu for at least 6 months.
    Peace

Do you want the most bang-for-buck with overclocking, or are you not going to overclock? I'd say you might as well since you're going to just replace it...

Thread Information