Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Athlon 64, which one to buy?

Default Athlon 64, which one to buy?

I need a little advice guys. I will buying a my system probably this week and need to know which proc. to buy. I will be making my decision on the rest of my system based on the proc.

I know the differences in these processors, just need to know which one will perform the absolute best with photo imaging programs and games mostly.

The 3200, 939 socket winchester core 2.0
    here

THe 3400, 754 socket newcastle core 2.4
    here

the 3400, 754 socket clawhammer core 2.2
    here

I'm not planning on upgrading, probably just starting over in a couple years.Just want the best performer out of the box and maybe a little OCing some time in the future.

I've been leaning towards the clawhammer because of the extra L2 cache but don't know if it would outperform the 2.4 of the newcastle?

And would the dual channeling capabilities of the 939 make much of a differance against the newcastle or the clawhammer?
    Last edited by Chi'mera; 11-09-2004 at 12:16 PM.

Default Re: Athlon 64, which one to buy?

The Newcastle 3400 is certainly the best, and if you will just replace the motherbaord when you next upgrade, go with it. You will get a lot more bang-for-buck, especially if you go with the Chaintech VNF3-250 for the motherboard because it's a great board for a really low price (while socket 939 boards will cost quite a bit, as will other socket 754 boards).

So the extra l2 cache does not increaser performance any? Is the chaintech a good buy only for ocing. Just curious if it is just a good oc'er.

Do you know how much better the newcastle is over the other two cores?

The Chaintech is a great OCing board, and is popular among OCers for its low price. The DFI UT NF3-250 is a bit better, but that's another $40. But the Chaintech is a good buy either way. If anyone ever needed a mid-range office system and asked me to build one for them, I'd almost certainly choose the Chaintech VNF3-250. It's one of the best preformers and OCers, and it's also the cheapest decent socket 754 board there is.

A Sempron 3100 is actually great for overclocking, too, as it will reach ~2.5GHz on air cooling with a decent PSU, but I'd suggest a socket 754 Athlon 64 2800 - 3400 with a Newcastle core for this system. Those will still overclock very well (although anything below the 3200 would have trouble reaching the clock speeds achievable with a Sempron 3100), and the stock performance will be better.

L2 cache helps performance, but 200MHz helps it more, and the Newcastle will overclock better. A Winchester is even better, but you will get much better bang-for-buck, with overclocking and at stock, on socket 754 than on socket 939, which limits you to Newcastle and Clawhammer processors. The Winchester core is cooler, overclocks better, and a few percent faster than a socket 939 Newcastle. A socket 939 Winchester core with RAM in dual channel would probably be as fast as a socket 754 Newcastle that has 200MHz higher clock speed, which means the Newcastles still beat it in bang for buck.

This is all assuming you will never upgrade the CPU on this system past an Athlon 64 3700, as you said you didn't care much about upgradability. A 3000 or 3200 Winchester overclock really well and leaves you tons of upgrading options that a socket 754 system won't have, but socket 754 still wins in the bang-for-buck arena by far.

Thanks alot Yawgmoth:D ALot of help.

Thread Information