Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 215 for preorder MSI nforce4 SLI is the price OK??

Question 215 for preorder MSI nforce4 SLI is the price OK??

I have just seen this board listed as "coming soon" in a german hardware retailer online. Is the price OK( i.e. as expected ) ? Will all SLI boards retail for such stiff prices at first?? or by some luck can we expect via k8t890 based boards to show up with 140-160 range as they have always been competitive considering their price/performance ratio.
    Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop
    p4 1.7GHz, 1GB DDR-Ram, 40GB hdd, DVD-ROM+External DVD-+RW, connected to a BenQ 17"LCD Display (own LCD display went nuts)

Default Re: 215 for preorder MSI nforce4 SLI is the price OK??

It's arguable whether or not it's worth it. This will most likely be the most desirable motherboard for gamers, overclockers, enthusiasts, etc. The ATI chipset that's coming out is very competetive, minus the lack of SLI. If the VIA chipset for PCI-E on AMD systems actually performs and overclocks as well, it might be competitive. Anyway, 215 is a lot for a board. You can get a good socket 939 board for half that in the U.S., and I don't expect the new MSI board to really cost that much. Hardware is more expensive in Europe than in the U.S., but I doubt by that much. I would really doubt that board would see prices even nearing $200 U.S., and you're talking about spending an equivelent to $277. I'd suggest you wait until the board actually comes out and some more in-depth tests are done on it. Hell, ATI, VIA, or even SIS might come out with chipsets that are better, so jumping the gun might be a bad move for this.

well, the ultra version of the same board is shown for 185 so I guess the board will sell at that price for a while at least. This retailer is a competitive one (cheap as they come) ,making all the odds of finding a sub 200 SLI board slimmer. Considering Asus 925X Premium board was around 300 when it hit the shelves first (sells for roughly 215 now) I agree that its not the best time to buy a mobo based on a new chipset when it first comes out.
    I wanna get Athlon64 with pci-e because I think DDR2 is way too expensive and so are 925XE based mobos. MSI 925XE costs 225 and it doesn't even have SLI, my money is on nforce4 or k8t890 based mobos at least for now.
    p4 1.7GHz, 1GB DDR-Ram, 40GB hdd, DVD-ROM+External DVD-+RW, connected to a BenQ 17"LCD Display (own LCD display went nuts)

I wouldn't use LGA775 boards as a point of reference at all. Almost nobody would have any reason to consider them, especially gamers or enthusiasts. They are way too expensive. They were pretty expensive over here, too, but Socket 939 wasn't when it came out. In fact, socket 939 motherboards haven't even dropped in price that much. PCI-E will likely add something to the cost, but don't expect them to be as much as LGA775 boards are now.

Also, you should want to get an Athlon 64 because they simply outperform Pentium 4s in gaming (and other applications) so much that P4s (or at least the 775 variant; socket 478 still has its place) aren't worth considering for most. An LGA775 board with PCI-E and SLI wouldn't be smart for a gamer simply because most Pentium 4s are already a bottleneck in games, so little performance increase, if any, would be seen from SLI on the vast majority of all CPUs and in the vast majority of all games.

it has been a couple days only and prices have already dropped to 200 and 170 for sli and ultra models respectively. i like this wait and see policy...

Thread Information