Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Office PC - Hows this?

Default Office PC - Hows this?

Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

Default Re: Office PC - Hows this?

Total redo here. Don't use enthusiast hardware in office systems.

If you wanted to make it an "out-of-the-way" system, you might consider this. The PSU it comes with is something I might normally worry about with a gaming system, but I bet it would do fine in this system. If that's unecessary, this might be better (well, cheaper). Again, the generic 200W case PSU is something to worry about, but there's a good chance it will handle this system. I've seen crappy case 230W PSUs handle machines with more power-intensive hardware. For maximum security, though, what you found wouldn't be a terrible idea.

The Shuttle MK40VN would be good for this system, however the Biostar M7NCG 400 has a few features to consider (probably not relevant, though) and will perform a bit better (probably not $20 worth, though). Both have onboard video; you should almost never use a video card in office systems as it's not any more expensive to use onboard.

The HDD should be fine, although if it's even feasible that the user will take more than 40GBs just get an 80GB HDD. It's not much more expensive, anyway.

For the processor, a Sempron 2600 ought to be sufficient. If you wanted a processor with a Barton core (meaning more L2 cache), the Mobile 2400 and a cheap cooler wouldn't be much more money and would perform around the same (better more often, worse sometimes) than the Sempron 2600. The only thing is, you get a big long warranty with the Sempron that the Mobile Barton won't have (and non-mobiles are too expensive to even consider), and you wouldn't need to worry about thermal compound (assuming you don't already have some Arctic Silver 5).

For RAM, get either Kingmax PC3200 or CorsairValue Select PC3200. PC3200 is overkill, and you won't be able to take full advantage of it., so why go with it? Because it's actually cheaper than what I would consider to be viable PC2700 choices. I'd probably go for 512MB with this system, but you could go with that 256MB stick and save money (although I'd go cheaper on the CPU first).

For the optical drive, go with a Rosewill DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive. It's cheaper than what you found, and enables the ability to play DVDs, which make be useful even in an office system.

For an office system get a AMD Sempron 2600+, BIOSTAR M7NCG 400 mobo (has onboard video and Corsair Value Select 512MB PC-3200

Wrong assumption for the arctic silver 5, I have that. My dad uses his desktop for a little more than basic web things, he likes to have music playing and may watch a movie there sometimes during tax season. Hes a partner, so we aren't talking cubicle quality computers. The budget was actually 750, but I don't think I need to make him a comp that good. Thanks a lot for the response Yawg, you always help me out nicely!
    Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

Oh yea, what is a good mobo that isn't micro atx? I think I'm going to go with the sempron 2600

Edit: OK he likes the small box a lot so we're going to go with that. Those micro-atx boards don't support 3200 ram, so what should I get instead? I want 512.
    Last edited by Joe89; 11-10-2004 at 11:03 AM.

Yes, they do. They will work just fine with PC3200, they just won't run it at PC3200 speeds and it won't need to anyway. And you will want a micro-ATX board, small case or not. They are simply cheaper in this market.

If you wanted to throw another $30 into it and give the system a nice performance boost, get the more expensive Biostar and two of those sticks of 256MB RAM. They will run in dual-channel for a little performance boost, that way.

Thats wierd, I'm buying ram that is good but not using all of its performance? Seems like a waste! Thanks again.

Edit: I'm nervous about a measly 200w so what about this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-448&depa=0 ?
    Will that fit? Whats that fat fan on the top doing, seems like it would cause fitment issues
    Last edited by Joe89; 11-10-2004 at 11:40 AM.

The fan won't cause any problems. It is just like that because it is a micro-atx PSU

I really wouldn't worry about the PSU that comes with the case. I know it's cheap, but many people have reported using systems much more power-hungry than this with that case and had no problems. Don't try to stick a 9800 Pro in it or anything, but it should handle this system no problem.

The RAM isn't really a waste as that PC3200 is simply cheaper than PC2700 modules of similar quality. At the very least, it will be useful if the user upgrades the system in the future.

Thread Information