Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a pc for the first time, please help a bit..

Default Re: Building a pc for the first time, please help a bit..

Yeah 800MHz dosent cut it for very much any more, though the bank I wired for a network bout a month ago was still using 486's, Now they use semprons, but thats besides the point.

Just goes to show that you dont need to have a high power systems for everything.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

that is true, actually my pIII 800 actually works not to bad really, just a bit tired of that stuff is kinda sluggish and such. I've finished games such as Far Cry, KOTOR, Morrowind ,and some other shooters etc. all worked pretty well i must say..

This will actually be the first time I invest in a good comp, always had something that was a bit far behind, got stuff cheap from companies, friends and such and just made the best out of it.. what i have now is more than good enough for most stuff, but i kinda want to be able to play some new games smoothly and get the "new computer" feeling

Now i'm gonna throw quite a bit of cash on this computer, hope i made some good desicions.. hope that silverstone case will be quiet and cool ^^ All the parts i need except the psu are available now, so i'll prolly order next week or so, when the status of those psu's have been confirmed.

any other suggestions/remarks are always welcome, always open for new stuff... after all i dont know too much about hardware at all..

also what the hell is "99% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol" and what is it normally used for, where can you normally buy it?

Good job. I have to congratulate you on making it through those games on that system. And to think I'm unhappy with a P4 2.0A and 9800 Pro...

I think the description I gave it would tell you what Isopropyl is normally used for... It's rubbing alcohol. It's very effective at cleaning things (lots of things...) and provding very little residue. Other chemicals will leave residue and alter thermal performance negatively. You can get it at some pharmacies/drug stores, though you may have to settle for something less (the local drug store here only had 91%, which is good enough for me).

ok ;)

remember that my main language is norwegian.. english is actually my third language. so whatever that translated to in norwegian i wasn't sure.. and when i were in england and the us i didn't clean a lot of things and i didn't visit drug stores much

It kinda looks like i got a good build then, the only thing that i'm uncertain about is that case, i dont really care about the cost. its just much easier to read about mobo's, cpu's, and other hardware. cases are just so much more subjective imo.

If you are not overclocking why waste your money on that RAM? It seems like a waste to me if not overclocking. Get some Corsair Value Select RAM.

Yeah. If you like the case's looks and are willing to spend the money, go for it. Personally, I'll take a cheap $30 case over a $150 that looks better any day, but I barely care what my case looks like at all. It is very subjective, as you said.

If you have trouble finding the Isopropyl, maybe this will help:
    http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/en...l_alcohol.html
    The chemical formula may help you find it, hehe.

hmmm, if I find the formula maybe i can make it down in my underground lab where I make my living... just joking folks

thanks for the link btw.

Drew, you say I waste my money on that RAM.. why exactly? I dont have much knowlegde of hardware as I've said before. I've only used what I've picked up in forums and after done some reading in guides and reviews and such.

Is this RAM just good for OC cause of its timings? or do the timings do something else too? or what do they do at all ;) ?

Isn't there a good thing about buying a bit expensive RAM, or just certain RAM i should stay away from. and what if i decide to OC later when my computer starts to slack? how far will a bad ram hold me back?

and if any of you say I should consider an other RAM then the one I choose, please use a link to newegg or something so I can see the exact name/specifics. many RAM with slightly different name..

Generally it is best to buy RAM like that if you are OCing. OCZ PC3200 Platinum EL rev 2 is a bit better than Crucial Ballistix if you just have it at stock speeds or with very light overclocking, and is just a little more expensive. But the Ballistix is better if you overclock later.

Anyway, expensive RAM will perform significantly better than cheaper RAM, even at stock (even better than cheaper stuff with the same timings), so it's still worth it. In this case is smart because the next upgrade in the processor would be a 3800, which is another $300, while two sticks of the RAM isn't even that much, and the upgrade from cheaper stuff isn't even close.

Expensive PC3200 RAM is good because of its performance, which is caused by a number of things (primarily timings, but there is more to it). Its also good because it can OC to levels that RAM rated for higher speeds would. In fact, Crucial Ballistix should run higher than any other existing RAM on Athlon 64 systems.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 11-12-2004 at 10:11 AM.

The RAM you chose does have a CAS Latency of 2 and the Corsair stuff I reccomended is 2.5 but that does not make muhc of a difference in performance and since this is a gamijng machine save your money and buy cheaper RAM.

Also many people seem to think you need low latency RAM to OC. This is false. Most good quality, brand name ram today has a bit of headroom. The best thing to do if you really want to OC though is to buy PC2500 for a bit o extra headroom. So RAM timings have relatively little impact on game performance, especially on athlon 64s.

If you do however decide to OC later you would still be able to OC fine with the Corsair stuff. Which would be like $140 cheaper which could be used for more important things.

This is the RAM I am refering to:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...145-026&DEPA=0

Buy 2 sticks of that for a total of 1GB

Quote Originally Posted by KoolDrew
    The RAM you chose does have a CAS Latency of 2 and the Corsair stuff I reccomended is 2.5 but that does not make muhc of a difference in performance and since this is a gamijng machine save your money and buy cheaper RAM.
    There's more to it than latencies. RAM from the same company with the same rated speed and the same latencies as a different stick can still perform differently. Besides, latencies do make a difference in performance. Also, do you realize there are parts of latency other than CAS? Value 2.5 RAM will usually run at 2.5-4-4 or 2.5-3-3, while Crucial Ballistix should be able to run at 2-2-2 @ DDR438 on this system.
    Anyway, there will be noticable differences in FPS going from CAS 2 to CAS 2.5, and even more so if you go from 2-2-2 to 2.5-4-4. And we're not even thinking about when the RAM gets to extremely high speeds, which makes an even greater difference in at most levels.

Also many people seem to think you need low latency RAM to OC. This is false. Most good quality, brand name ram today has a bit of headroom. The best thing to do if you really want to OC though is to buy PC2500 for a bit o extra headroom. So RAM timings have relatively little impact on game performance, especially on athlon 64s.
    No PC3500 (or anything else, for that matter) will overclock as far as Crucial ballistix PC3200 or OCZ PC3200 Rev 2. The only thing that even comes close is OCZ PC3500 Enhanced Bandwidth. You don't need low latency RAM to get a meaningful OC, but you do need low latency PC3200 RAM if you're going to OC PC3200 RAM very far. Again, this PC3200 should beat anything in overclocking. It can overclock well over 250MHz, or you can just run it at 216 and have it perform better than anything else. For more extreme overclocking, you can get the OCZ and run it at around 580MHz DDR.

If you do however decide to OC later you would still be able to OC fine with the Corsair stuff. Which would be like $140 cheaper which could be used for more important things.

This is the RAM I am refering to:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...145-026&DEPA=0
    Have you ever tried overclocking value RAM? Even stuff from Corsair, OCz, etc. won't be able to get much past 216MHz, if it can get that far. That Corsair will probably top out at 220MHz. Compare that to the OCz that will go to 290MHz (or even 300MHz, though you'd have to run it at 2T command rate, which defeats the purpose). Besides, there's nothing left to put the money into. I just explained that pretty clearly. The only upgrade left would be the video card, unless he changed the processor, which would just be stupid at this point. If he's set on getting the 9800 Pro, then that's irrelevant. Otherwise, a GeForce 6800 GT would be a smarter use of the money, in which case somthing like this Corsair would be better. Skimping on the RAM in a high-endish gaming system is rarely smart (value RAM is targeted at "value" systems). Latencies do matter, as does overclockability. Sthorm, unless you're willing to get a GeForce 6800GT instead of your friend's 9800 Pro, get the more expensive RAM, Crucial Ballistix probably being better for this system (though I'd go with whichever is cheaper).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information