Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building a pc for the first time, please help a bit..

Default Re: Building a pc for the first time, please help a bit..

ok...

still not sure i understand this RAM stuff.. sounded a bit chinese to me and i don't know that language..

anyways, from what i understand:

* KoolDrew said to buy cheaper RAM, this would save about 95$ for me with my pricings in norway.

*Yawgm0th said that i shouldn't buy cheap RAM, and offered this advice:
    1. if i buy the a 6800GT, i should get more expensive RAM such as the ballistic or OCZ rev.2 (both are about the same price) ballistic better for extreme OC and OCZ nearly as good but better at stock speeds?
    2. if i dont it doesn't matter cause my video card would be the bottleneck? then get whatever ram i'd like ^^

Did I understand correctly?

I have no idea what corsair you meant cause it points to an very very old motherboard..

Also Yawgm0th, I'm not quite sure where you recommend the different types of RAM for wich things.. if you could do something like:

9800 pro: type of RAM to get (reason)
    6800GT: type of RAM to get (reason)

When it comes to OC. I'll prolly not do anything at once, but i'll prolly start out light and learn in 2-3 months time. and when i'm not think my system is good enough to play the games i would like to at the resulotion i'd like or when i'll feel like a challenge i'll OC as far as i feel safe..

I'm learning quite a bit now, thanks for all the info and input yet again!!
    Last edited by Sthorm; 11-12-2004 at 01:21 PM.

I wouldent suggest getting any "Value RAM" I had two sticks of value corsair 512 in my 1st rig and I couldent overcloc over 220, without blue screen horrors. Get some nice stuff for possable future overclocking.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

If you do plan on ocing in the future then yes go with the RAM you chose, but if you do not plan on ocing then the Corsair stuff would be much better as latenices have very little impact on performance and definetely not worth $140 more. If we were talking about Intels it would be different

well, its "only" 95$ difference ;)

anyways, what about that OCZ enhanced rev2? how does it compare to that crucial ballistic? the reviews at newegg seems to favor the OZC, i know i shouldn't take it as gospel, but some friendly advice would be appreciated..

thanks in advance!

well, its "only" 95$ difference ;)
    That would be for 512mb. For 1GB (2x512) it is around $140 more.

My recommendation was getting the more expensive RAM if you do OC and if you buy the Radeon 9800 Pro. Crucial Ballistix is better for meium-heavy OCing, and OCZ EL Rev 2 is for no OCing or extermely heavy ocing. I advice U.S. buyers to get Balistix at Crucial because some of the Newegg reviews claim it's not the Balistix, plust it's cheaper at Crucial.

Some regular 2-3-3 RAM would be better if you want to forget the 9800 Pro and get a 6800 now, because the money would help you more if spent on the video card (though you can't save enough to afford a GT over a cheap 9800 Pro from getting cheaper RAM).

The thing about expensive RAM is, although it will take a bite out of your wallet, you might not have any reason to upgrade for years. It should remain high-performance RAM on AMD K8 systems (the one you're getting) right up until it starts to die. That can rarely be said about many other pieces of hardware. Motherboards, video cards, and RAM need replacing, but high-performance PC3200 RAM will last you right up until A you upgrade to a system supporting a different type of RAM, and that could be quite a while longer. Years from now, even. Currently, going higher than PC3200 doesn't do enough for AMD platforms to be cost-effective, so AMD will be waiting quite a wihle longer to switch.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 11-13-2004 at 07:56 AM.

well, point is i can buy it all at once, so i'm not gonna skimp, i just have to validate the buy for myself. If what you say its true i dont have to upgrade a good ram for a long time i'll get the more expensive then. it'll be well worth it. and 95$ was for 1GB of RAM, different pricing here in Norway I guess.

About OC I prolly wont go there for a little while at all, but i'm sure I will get there eventually. Its hard for me to decide if to get the ballistic or the OCZ rev2 one

If you have any opinions please say so, otherwise i'll try figuring it out for myself..

I WILL OC before I upgrade my sestem, that is for sure, and with the csae i'll buy and a couple more fans i'm sure my cooling will work out nicely.

I'd say get whichever is cheaper. The difference between the two is insignifacant at most levels, so it's not a major issue. Both will overclock very well and be very fast at stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Sthorm
    well, point is i can buy it all at once, so i'm not gonna skimp, i just have to validate the buy for myself. If what you say its true i dont have to upgrade a good ram for a long time i'll get the more expensive then. it'll be well worth it. and 95$ was for 1GB of RAM, different pricing here in Norway I guess.

About OC I prolly wont go there for a little while at all, but i'm sure I will get there eventually. Its hard for me to decide if to get the ballistic or the OCZ rev2 one

If you have any opinions please say so, otherwise i'll try figuring it out for myself..

I WILL OC before I upgrade my sestem, that is for sure, and with the csae i'll buy and a couple more fans i'm sure my cooling will work out nicely.
    Definately go for the ocz rev2, you won't be sorry.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w